Thursday, March 29, 2007

CDs/LPs purchased this year so far

Here they are. I'm not saying they're all good. Many were recommendations. Some were remasters of CDs/LPs I already own. Lots were infilling from artists I like. I think I'm making the case that music consumption is a big part of being a musician; I don't think we musicians exist in a vacuum. Listening is a huge part of creating for me. An approach of 'I'm just gonna play my way' leaves out so much good shit! I wonder what the rest of the year will bring.


Love: Forever Changes is essential — I even bought it on 180g vinyl.The Gang Of Four remaster sounds a lot better than the 1995 version. It has been exactly one year (3/27) since the death of painter and friend Maurine F. O'Connor. Interesting that would come up here; it was she who gave me my first cassette copies of Gang Of Four as well as the Au Pairs in 1983. The Paul Simon remasters sound very good, particularly his eponymous album from 1972. The other standouts are Bart Davenport: Game Preserve, Johnny Darrell, Rodney Crowell and Vern Gosdin. The Robert Johnson releases were described a few blogs ago.

..>..>

..>..>
Au PairsPlaying With A Different Sex
Ronnie BowmanMan I'm Tryin to Be
Tommy CollinsLeonard [Box set]
Tommy CollinsSinger-Songwriter-Comedian 1930-2000
Tommy CollinsThe Capitol Collection
Rodney CrowellBut What Will the Neighbors Think/Rodney Crowell
Bart DavenportGame Preserve
Bart DavenportSeal the Deal!
Bart DavenportMaroon Cocoon
Johnny DarrellSingin' It Lonesome: The Very Best 1965-1970
Echo & the BunnymenEcho & the Bunnymen
Echo & the BunnymenSongs to Learn & Sing
Gang Of FourEntertainment!
Vern GosdinChiseled in Stone
Howlin' WolfThe Chess Box
Robert JohnsonKing of the Delta Blues Singers
Robert JohnsonKing of the Delta Blues Singers, Vol. 2
The KineticsThe Kinetics
LoveForever Changes
The Loved OnesBoom Boom, Out Goes The Lights (EP)
Lyle LovettJoshua Judges Ruth (DTS 5.1 version)
The Marshall Tucker BandSearchin' For A Rainbow
The McCoy BrothersComplete Recorded Works (1928-1932)
The McCoy BrothersComplete Recorded Works, Vol. 1 (1934-1936)
The McCoy BrothersComplete Recorded Works, Vol. 2 (1936-1944)
Bill MonroeLive From Mountain Stage
Bill MonroeLive - Volume One
Oingo BoingoOingo Boingo (12" EP)
Buck OwensRuby & Other Bluegrass Specials
Gram ParsonsSleepless Nights
Dan PennDo Right Man
Tom PettyWildflowers (because I've worn out a copy)
Paul SimonThe Studio Recordings 1972-2000
Robb StrandlundRobb Strandlund
Randy TravisAlways & Forever
Brenton Wood18 Best
Brenton WoodBaby You Got It: 1960's Anthology
Wildwood Valley BoysSongs from Wildwood Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive