Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Curtis Mayfield

Thanks to Johnny Fingers, I purchased my first Impressions CD. Johnny let me know that Hendrix was influenced by Curtis for that style of guitar heard on Castles Made of Sand or The Wind Cries Mary.

I like to go through new music in chronological order. This way I can appreciate the artists' development or change through time. And this first CD is pretty much bad ass. In this early stage, I don't hear the Hendrix comparison, except for a little in People Get Ready. It's cool to hear how Bob Marley recycled a verse in One Love:

"There ain't no room for the hopeless sinner
Who would hurt all mankind just to save his own soul
Have pity on those whose choices grow thinner
There ain't no hiding place from the Kingdom's throne"

Lately I've been interested in learning about soul music and I'm sure this stuff is classic. A happy accident, as I was looking for guitar stuff.

If only I had a soul tutor; but who the hell would that be in Reno?!

Anyway, here's an NPR interview, and the CD I got.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive