Thursday, September 13, 2007

Bill Monroe's Birthday

Today is Bill Monroe's birthday. September 13, 1911. It was declared Bill Monroe day in the state of Kentucky, but there isn't anything going on here in Ohio County to celebrate. Here's some info about Mr. Monroe.

This morning I drove around Hartford looking for a restaurant for lunch. I called the International Bluegrass Music Museum in Owensboro to see if they knew of any happenings tonight. Mike Lawing invited me to be on their radio program tomorrow (Friday, 9/15) to talk about the mandolin camp I attended last week. The live part of the programs airs from 8:30 to 10:30 central time. I'll be on at 9:30 for about 15 minutes (7:30 a.m. for you early rising westerners).

Everyone has been real kind to the strange stranger from "Neh-VAH-da".


Here's my great-uncle's mandolin, built somewhere around 1925, photographed in Chico on 9/3/07.
Arthur Potts Wells, my great Uncle, built this about 1925
Arthur played a Merle Travis style guitar and built this mandolin in high school (I guess). I know little about it, but the headstock decoration is an iconic reference to the Claude Wells 'moon pictures' of West Liberty. My great-grandfather Claude was a studio photographer. There are scores of photos in front of a star and moon backdrop in the studio.

September 11, 2007. On Tuesday night, a long-standing burn ban was lifted, so the volunteer fire department came out and monitored the big fire of cleanup debris about 200 yards from my tent.
Rosine Fire Department, Jerusalem Ridge Kentucky, 9/11/07
Bonfire, Jerusalem Ridge Kentucky, 9/11/07
Rosine Fire department, Jerusalem Ridge Kentucky, 9/11/07

The fatigue of my long adventure getting here set in and I fell to sleep for about 12 hours.

Wednesday, September 12, late in the evening, about sundown, I snapped a few pictures of the setting of the home place. I haven't got my compass adjusted yet, but the front of the house is along the E-W, looking out to the north(ish).
Monroe Family home place, Jerusalem Ridge Kentucky, 9/12/07
Looking towards the west down the entrance road.
Approach from the Monroe Family home place, Jerusalem Ridge Kentucky, 9/12/07
This is the dwelling of the caretaker and his family.
Caretaker dwelling, Jerusalem Ridge Kentucky, 9/12/07
I'm set up in the woods in the path of an old road and leveled the area under my tent. The soil here is rich, but very thin, getting to sand with likely transolcated clay at about 6 inches. The sand is fine, and weathered orange.
Andrew D. Barron camps on Jerusalem Ridge Kentucky, 9/12/07
I've been pretty haggard lately, taking in much, thinking more, and generally feeling great.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive