Sunday, September 23, 2007

Bowling Green

Is best represented here:



Not to be too down, I had some pleasant encounters. The museum had a neat exhibit on the Mr. Duncan Hines, and to illustrate some other exhibits, I was impressed with the watercolor painter, former WKU faculty Ivan Wilson (1889-1981), who painted the 8x10 landscape images in the late 1930's to early 40's.

There was friendly and helpful Deborah at the museum, a Bosnian bartender at the Brickhouse restaurant, who translated Plavic Malic grape as the "little blue one." These grapes were rumored as the genetic source of Zinfandel and Primitivo grapes, but DNA research has demonstrated the grapes are a Croatian strain called Crljenak Kaštelanski. Good luck bringing that up; how many syllables is that? Anyway, that was Friday. I returned to Rosine and watched the Barn Jam. I was resting my left thumb.




Saturday morning I drove to Lexington. I had a wonderful visit with my great Aunt Lorene. We took the scenic route off the 68 through Carlisle. It was great to see her daughter Harriet, and a whole big contingent of my great Aunt Loise's family. It was Eddy Thomas' 70th birthday. I hope to get some of that distilled here. Loise was real sweet to me, our third meeting. There was family music with my second cousin Donnie and a great married-in relative Chuck Martin from Gainesville.



An ancient portrait on the wall of Isaac Johnston (my great-great grandfather on my grandpa's mother's side) has sent me off to photograph his grave in West Liberty. Right now, I'm stealing wireless in Corky's BBQ, listening to a 49er game and waiting for my second round of food. I am actually trying to find a western store, and I'm nearly there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive