Friday, February 19, 2010

North By Northwest

I took this shot at LSU in Baton Rouge, June 16, 2008.

I watched the 1959 film North By Northwest for the first time last night.

Viewing it closed a loop that had been open ever since I wrote this old blog from April 2007 about Mount Rushmore and the sculptor behind it. The film was beautifully shot in Technicolor/VistaVision and much takes place on Rushmore. To pick this scene is interesting: "In an example of guerrilla filmmaking, Hitchcock used a movie camera hidden in a parked van to film Cary Grant and Adam Williams exiting their taxis and entering the building." So I guess it really is the UN building.

This scene caught my eye because LOOK! Have you ever seen the end of a set of powerlines? Turns out this is a famous and well known scene. So is the suit. I'm sure the powerlines go all the way through now. In this case, I trust wikipedia, shot on "Garces Highway (155) near the towns of Wasco and Delano, north of Bakersfield in Kern County, California." Anyway, the shots (movie & my LSU) aren't as close as I thought, so it's like art imitating art, imitating life imitating art...


It was a strange week.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive