Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sunday hike

The bees have been really busy. I'm sure all is going well in there. The few sunny days were great. I doubt I'll get tired of shooting pictures like this! They appear quite used to me, and don't seem to mind my camera. Sometimes a few will land on the camera or walk along my hand. I haven't worn the screen since the installation.

On Sunday I went for a very long hike through the 'neighborhood.' It was probably more than 8 miles. There's no attempt at continuity, but I photographed the first stretch on January 26th, wow, has it been that long?! That blog is a 'click on picture for slideshow' one. I guess I've stopped that lately.


These are common, no idea. South side of Euchre Creek Marsh.

Euchre Creek bridge. I should have paid more attention to how much water was flowing through here...

Nice light. What are these called? I shot them once before.

Roadside irises.

I hiked to Devil's Backbone and then down the beach; probably 5 miles. The seals enjoyed a few Merle Travis songs. Maybe. They followed me for about two miles.

All was fine, but the creek was a river! The last time I was here in November I easily waded across. This day it was a swiftly moving river about 15 feet across and probably 6 feet at the deepest. So I hurled my clothes and my camera in my boot and swam across. Yeah, I'd do that again, but I don't know if I'd have as good of luck. That was the first time I swam Euchre creek in all of these years.

From here it's probably 4 miles home down the beach. I was tired. I saw all kinds of stuff I haven't seen before. It is looking like the creeks are turning back southwards as they reach the sea. It's such a noticeable phenomenon around here, but I don't know the answer. Ocean currents or changes in stream discharge? That's not much of 'photography blog' subject but is one that I've been thinking on and documenting since November. Locals have also noticed and find it 'strange' or different.

2 comments:

  1. The little blue flowers are periwinkle, or vinca, and I'm pretty sure they are vinca major. The pink plant looks like a rhododendron, or azalea. The wild azaleas are usually a whitish/salmon color, and the rhodies pink. Rhodies can be rather tall, too, whereas azaleas tend to be shorter, especially cultivated varieties.

    Love the bees. You are such a good photographer. I love the froggie from the day before. Such big eye eyes he has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pink flowers are much smaller than it appears in closeup. So possibly wild azaleas. Vinca a.k.a Perriwinkle, and thus, another non-North American species (like me!). It's funny, but I guess as much as I appreciate the names...I dunno. In geology we named a many forms of SiO2 all kinds of things before we understood them. But it is quartz. Chalcedony, jasper, agate...

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Blog Archive