Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Don't Let The Sunshine Fool You

Another Townes Van Zandt song.

doesn't this look Cloud City from the Empire Strikes back? (sunset 5/19/10)


When Guy Clark's Cold Dog Soup was released in 1999, I had already created a web site celebrating Guy's music. That record was the first new album I was a part of and I think it's a good one. Townes died on New Years day in 1997, about a year before I got into him. I remembered Townes on Ralph Emery's "Nashville Now" in 1993, back when I was first getting into country. I taped shows off of TNN (The Nashville Network) and Townes Van Zandt and Bill Monroe were on that same episode. If I only knew then that those two men would loom so large for me many years later...they became two of my top influences, but not until years and years later.

I remember hearing Townes performance of his "Pancho and Lefty" and compared to the version I knew by Emmy Lou Harris, well, I wasn't impressed. But it planted the seed for me about 'where songs come from.'
Get yourself a piece of that rainbow pie, no reason in the world that you can't get by.

It was sure a trip to see that footage in the documentary about Townes, "Be Here To Love Me". Here's Verlon Thompson, Guy Clark and me, 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive