Monday, September 6, 2010

Sunday Sunset to Monday Morning

at beautiful Otter Point. Here's an image to help orient taken on 2/9/10, my first visit to this wonderful spot. The birds shown next were perched on the eastern edge of this big rock tonight. I climbed out to the point on the far left of the image below. You can kind of make out a double point shown prominently in tonight's photos.
Curry County Oregon, Andrew D. Barron ©2/9/10

Curry County Oregon, Andrew D. Barron ©9/5/10
Uplifted Marine terrace sands sit upon the Otter Point formation.
Curry County Oregon, Andrew D. Barron ©9/5/10
I scrambled up that ridge to the low point in the middle (seen above) and headed out to a 'too windy for comfort' point, where I took these next six shots.
Curry County Oregon, Andrew D. Barron ©9/5/10
William Neill's blog got me inspired to try out the "photomerge" plugin in Photoshop. The results are considerably better than the more manual methods I have used up to now.

Here's a three image mosaic. As always, click image for a bigger version (much wider).
Curry County Oregon, Andrew D. Barron ©9/5/10
Curry County Oregon, Andrew D. Barron ©9/5/10
These rocks have been through a lot since they were deposited before 155 million years ago to arrive here at the edge of the continent.
Curry County Oregon, Andrew D. Barron ©9/5/10
It was a sketchy spot, but I looked over the edge:
Curry County Oregon, Andrew D. Barron ©9/5/10
And scrunched down for safety.
Curry County Oregon, Andrew D. Barron ©9/5/10
I've shot a great number of nice 'sun setting'. Here's tonight's, but seeking a different feel for that moment when half the sun is gone...
Curry County Oregon, Andrew D. Barron ©9/5/10
Metaconglomerate contact on boulder at the beach. I'll try again on a different day.
Curry County Oregon, Andrew D. Barron ©9/5/10


Last night's sunset perch looks much safer today with much less wind.
Curry County Oregon, Andrew D. Barron ©9/6/10
I decided to take a look this morning. It's a gabbro adjacent some jadeite-bearing greenstone. I call these impossible-to-make-sense assemblages 'Franciscan'. In these parts, it's probably more aptly termed Josephine.
Curry County Oregon, Andrew D. Barron ©9/6/10
Closeup.
Curry County Oregon, Andrew D. Barron ©9/6/10
More Otter Point geologic specimens.
Curry County Oregon, Andrew D. Barron ©9/6/10
Curry County Oregon, Andrew D. Barron ©9/6/10
Curry County Oregon, Andrew D. Barron ©9/6/10
Curry County Oregon, Andrew D. Barron ©9/6/10
Unfortunately, my geology reference library is in storage. I wonder what David Howell, my mentor briefly at the USGS, had to say about this area. In late 1997, one of my parting gifts from the survey was a copy of this book.
Principles of Terrane Analysis - New applications for global tectonics, David G. Howell ©1994

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive