Saturday, December 18, 2010

Gold Beach afternoon / Stormy morning

This grand cypress catches my eye often when I'm in Gold Beach.
Gold Beach, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/17/10
Gold Beach, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/17/10
Gold Beach, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/17/10
I got two successful shots from here; the alternate.
Franciscian rocks, Wedderburn Store, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/17/10
Many years ago, the only other left-handed ball player around had an old mitt that he gave me. So thank you Tate Short, who once lived here.
Nesika Beach, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/17/10
Nesika Beach, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/17/10
William Neill is a really talented, career photographer. It's great that he shares his shot info, i.e. exif data. Lately he has been shooting with a camera that can be purchased for just over $6,000. Attach a very high quality lens, and becomes clear my image quality could not be expected to compare. I wanted to note the camera model and nod to William Neill for continuing to inspire with his images that evoke adoration of California. Another photographer who succeeds at this too is Carr Clifton, whom I fortuitously discovered on February 16, 2009. I have two of this books (1, 2) and read that he shot on 4"x5" Ektachrome 64 or Fujichrome 50 film with a Tachihara and Toyo cameras. I may have to try some Fujichrome velvia in my 35mm project camera, a Canon Rebel 2000, (EOS 300 in Japan), still in need of a lens. I mention these photographers because they know what they are doing with a camera and they learned it with film and 4x5 cameras.

It was a stormy, hailing morning, but there was a brief clearing. I am hungover.
A Street, Nesika Beach, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/19/10
Humbug from north of Frankport, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/19/10
I'd say 'I never use flash.' Here it felt right.
Apples, Ophir, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/19/10
My interest in old cameras has brought forth interesting memories of life's photography for my friends, too. This camera was purchased when she moved away from home.
The Minolta Pocket Pak 440E, Andrew D. Barron ©12/19/10
My friends happened upon a store in Bandon selling 110 film this morning while we were on the phone. As of 2009, no one makes 110 film. They picked up two packs of Kodak 400, and I am eager to try and be reminded of just how bad-in-a-good-way those images will be. The film expired in 2002, and this Minolta has some scuffs on it's lens.

Photographs are a reflection of the life you are living. In the film days, especially with cheap cameras, it was not so easy to take good photographs. While it's easy to take good pictures nowadays, it is harder to make them feel tangible. It's as if those prints made up for the poor image quality itself; that a physical object goes along with the memory or the feelings captured in the photograph.

The instant gratification of digital cameras is on overload. The gizmos themselves become the focus, rather than the life they are expected to accompany. This is especially an issue with the camera LCD screens. and all the buttons on modern cameras inhibit people with declining eyesight. I know I write a lot about gizmos and perhaps that is how I am aware. Turning off the 'instant review' feature helped me a lot. Then, when my LCD screen broke in 2009, I was already trained to not reviewing the shot while out taking pictures. I feel this is a good shift for anyone who takes pictures; stay with the moments, with your friends, with the light. I believe it is better to know your camera, take a few shots and move on. I review about 1 in 100; mainly those special ones that I know I 'just got.' Thanks to my mom and my brother, I fixed the screen on the Sony. It's great to have it back as I still use that camera indoors or in low light. I can return to a fun shooting style of holding the camera at low or high angles away from my face.
Otter Point, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/19/10
Barn and cat. I got closer, too. I have shot this scene several times, including the first image using Topaz adjust.
Euchre Creek road, Ophir, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/19/10
Euchre Creek road, Ophir, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/19/10
Loaded it up.
Expired 110 goes into Minolta 440E (sorry nothing in focus), Andrew D. Barron ©12/19/10
This scene happened down the street right after I put in the film. It was fun to shoot with the Minolta. Waiting several weeks to see images is unsatisfying, as is the shutter's little "clink" with a thin ringing. I will be sending this experimental 110 film to one of the three remaining facilities: Sharp Photo & Portrait in Eau Claire WS, Blue Moon Photography in Portland, OR, or Dwayne's Photo in Parsons Kansas. Incidentally, Dwayne's is the last place to get your Kodachrome developed and must be on their desk by December 31, 2010.
A Street, Nesika Beach, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/19/10
A Street, Nesika Beach, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/19/10

These last few blogs have been written throughout the day. It's been an interesting to go out and around with a mind for a 'story' that I'm working on. Today, I wrote about LCD screen and something about eyesight, and immediately met a woman at the thrift store who undermined my point. I found an old Pentax SLR book, and that started a conversation about cameras. She told me of her old Nikon 35mm that used to shoot 'exquisite pictures,' then she showed me a review of her new camera, the Sony A55. After I got home, it became clear that the A55 is a powerful contender with my d5000, and likely a better choice. Buyer's remorse strikes again. It was named 'camera of the year' just last week in Popular Photography. One thing I noticed was that the more common lens mount on the A55 was more appealing than Sony's own 4/3 cameras the NEX3 and NEX5 that have a more limited mount.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive