Thursday, December 9, 2010

Hipstamatic

DSC-H1 shoots the Nikon d5000 & Hipstamatic 185 on iPhone 3G, Andrew D. Barron ©12/9/10
Fun with a the Hipstamatic 185 app!
Read through or scroll down for my latest, very different, images.

The weather turned rough again. After last weekend's photomerge test run of my iPhone-as-camera at Humbug, I reviewed a similar effort I did in January of 2009. At that time I went out to the Coyote Mountains of California for a camping trip. While there I pushed the iPhone to the limit. I'd only had the revolutionary device for three weeks. I did a retroblog from that time including some nice panoramas I forgot about. The effort in 2009 was more serious. I was searching for a way to be part of the breaking wave of that technology. To me, GIS for the iPhone would be a reality, and I wanted in. By immersion I dove into a real world mapping and rugged use trial. Alas, life took me in other directions away from application development for iPhone. As of August 2010, ESRI built a crappy app. In January 2009, I was probably headed in the right direction.

Onward. In June my DSC-H1 stopped working for a couple of weeks. I tried out my iPhone for a test (see blog) and immediately gave up on it. That damn iPhone contract expires very soon and I aim to let it lapse and be free. I remembered something else: extended warranty. So before I let it all fall away, I called Apple. (Nice irony that I shot this with the resurrected Sony. It does quite good with macro).
The battered 2008 iPhone 3G, Andrew D. Barron ©12/5/10
I hadn't activated the warranty but it was legitimate and they sent me a sparkling new, but old 3G.

One thing I learned from my advisor was to honor your own intellect. I had been the type of researcher who read lots of papers and tried to make sense out of what they all thought. He helped me to develop a back-to-basics style where you try to figure out what the earth did. This process of sticking with your own ideas and chasing out your own questions has run deep. Now, with the tiniest of ideas, something like "now that I have a nice DSLR, it sure would be great to a have a pocket camera for all of those in-between moments" mentioned recently takes off into what you are reading. Of course there is a huge community of iPhone photographers, even a name for it: iphoneography. I was probably well behind the leading edge even back in January 2009, because the first iPhone with the same camera had been out for () and the apps were starting to come into their own.

I guess we can't all keep on top of all of this crap and learn new things, too. Lately I remind myself that I spent 9 years earning multiple degrees in science. The whole artist thing came late to me, and especially recent is my passion for photography.

Whoops. This blog is about photography. Here's some seasonal images.
Mary's 'Charlie Brown' hemlock, Andrew D. Barron ©12/6/10
Curry County OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/6/10
With the delivery on Tuesday of a new iPhone, I knew that this one was going to be with me for a while. I download the Hipstamatic 185 app. glad to see that it was on sale. It is one year old this week. The timing seemed cool and the app is very nifty. I read lots of iphoneography blogs, and read about 'lofi' cameras. There is a hip way to be lo-fi, and then there's me. Definitely not cool, yet my photographic style and anti-expensive gear circumstance is right in line with this group. Even in retrospect, my old Kodak Cameo zoom could have been a usable lo-fi camera. Interestingly, that camera of mine set a new marketing paradigm using QVC during the holiday season, 93-94. The historical fact that my old Kodak was released exclusively on QVC leaves little doubt where it came from.

This week the clouds cleared only briefly.
Strawberries, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/7/10
Peets Blend 101, Andrew D. Barron ©12/8/10
, Andrew D. Barron ©12/9/10
My d5000 at 82mm, shot through my Sony 1.7x adapter (thus about 139mm) and run through Topaz 'Vibrance',
Random narcissus bulbs for good measure:
Narcissus 'paper whites' take off, Andrew D. Barron ©12/9/10
And so now, ta da, now it's time for the Hipstamatic 185 images! It took some time to find the new placement of the "High Quality" lever on the face where you change lenses. The app itself retrodates by 30 years when using BlacKeys B+W film.
Ceiling hook, Andrew D. Barron ©12/8/10Stormy, Andrew D. Barron ©12/9/10

Waves crash at the mouth of Greggs Creek.
Greggs Creek, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/9/10
Here's one with BlacKeys Supergrain film.
Grandpa's hat, Andrew D. Barron ©12/9/10
I got the app on it's birthday sale for 99¢ and promptly bought The Camden and The Portland hipstapak.
This was shot with the Luciver VI lens on BlacKeys B+W film (they're not real films or lenses):
Hipstamatic 185 shoots the d5000 and the DSC-H1, Andrew D. Barron ©12/9/10
The Hipstamatic 185 app takes a long time to 'develop' on my 3G. I use the high quality setting (flipping that near-hidden lever left of the lens), just in case I'd ever want prints. The slowness inhibits spontaneous shots unless I've got the film and lens for the situation. But then there's also a delay of about 45 seconds between shots. I especially like the black and white films that come one in each Portland and Camden. I seem to use the Lucifer VI lens on the films, even though it's described as putting reds into color images. Here's a much more dedicated blog for the app. Using the Hipstamatic 185 was the first time I ever had fun shooting with the iPhone.

1 comment:

  1. I've developed 8"x8" Hipstamatic prints from "medium" quality files and they turned out great.

    Unless you plan to develop even larger prints, you can avoid the longer "developing" time in the Hipstamatic app that the large setting requires and just use medium.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Blog Archive