Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Reformat notice / Film Photography Podcast

Cactus, Andrew D. Barron ©12/28/10
I redid last January's blogs in the newer 'big image' format. In a few cases, I chose a different aspect ratio, deleted a few variations, and adjusted some levels. It was an exciting and prolific month with 255 'released' images of the 2,886 I shot. A few months in 2010 surpassed this number, but last January's shots are some of the most rich and varied I captured with the H1.

I honestly can't believe how long I stuck with poor workflow at some stages of my photography. Making a new online album for each new batch of photos was a bad idea I kept for 4 years. "Save for web" and blasting out the Exif data? Oh, yeah, also dumb, but did it for 4 years. Easily remedied. There's more to learn with post-shoot white balance adjustments. Chromatic aberration correction was something I once considered 'just there' but there may be ways to clean it up. I've been patching up stuff like that lately.
Michael Raso and Duane Polcou entertain, teach, and share their love of photography in the Film Photography Podcast title=
Been enjoying the Film Photography Podcast while I plow through the html-tedium I've assigned to myself. The podcast has many episodes, and for me, there's a spooky alignment with their perspective about photography, cameras, art, even down to the music and cultural references they make. The show may not be for everyone, but I sure like it. Michael digs his polaroid and 110 cameras, while Duane seems very well informed about the film technology of the pre-digital era. I have a funny feeling I met Duane during my only trip to Arizona's national parks in early June 1997. After 10pm or so in a Bryce Canyon? campground, I wandered out with my guitar seeking a lively campfire. I met another musician who said he was out there because he was a photographer. I asked naively, "like what, 35mm?" and he said, no, ' large format' camera. The way that guy said camera was what stuck. He held his hands up and said, 'it's a big camera with a big negative like this,' hands gesturing a 4x5 rectangle. Was it a New Jersey accent? I may never confirm this chance encounter as being Duane from FPP, the guy who used to shoot 4x5 in the summers in the late 90's in Arizona, but I'm sure curious.

I got back into flickr; you can find me there, too. I consolidated my pre-2010 blog here in 'barronphotography' as well. You'll see more blogs in the archive listings below. This will help (eventually) to treat the older pictures to my new format. Google Chrome browser: I've used since it came out, but as of today, I am using Opera for blog edits. Chrome resizes images always. Images are the whole point of the blog, so I'm not going to use a tool that changes them. Firefox or Explorer? Nope. Evolutionary bloat has plagued every Mozilla and MS browser since the beginning: the 'new' version comes out, and 4 updates or so later, it's slower than the version it replaced.

I recently redid March (with 181 shots) but didn't make an announcement, so that leaves about five other 2010 months, and three other years. Prior to 2009, I shot about 1/4 of what I do these days, so it's not too overwhelming.

Here's last January.
1/3: New Year, new blog
1/8: January 7-8
1/9: January 9
1/12: Late morning clearing
1/13: Lunchtime clearing
1/14: Scramble in the woods
1/18: Mighty storm
1/20: January 20
1/22: Two days: Ridin' out El NiƱo
1/23: Nice morning...
1/26: Great morning walk-and-shoot
1/31: Oregon January

My favorite blog is this group is Scramble in the woods, because there was incredible light and memorable experiences: punishment-by-brush, losing my mini tripod, and destroying a pair of jeans.

If I had to choose a favorite image from January 2010:
Ophir beach wave, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/18/10
I ran out as the waves receded. I had the zoom arbitrarily out to 399 mm (11x); this seems that I stopped futzing with the camera to get the shot and stay dry. I crouched down as far as I could and shot without looking through the viewfinder. That was pretty common after the LCD broke in October '09. I got pretty good at shooting blind, and the H1 stayed good at focusing quickly on the right thing.

I suspect I will redo the black & white conversion again some day. This image printed beautifully at 6.75"x12".
Ophir beach wave, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©7/03/10
It's not bad as a color image.
Ophir beach wave, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/18/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive