Thursday, December 23, 2010

Thursday experiments

Tree and ferns, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/23/10
Greggs creek road decay
Greggs creek road decay, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/23/10
Greggs creek road decay, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/23/10
I experimented with the 'moving-water-long-exposure' shot. Greggs Creek.
Greggs Creek, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/23/10
So much to learn; and the light was not great.
Greggs Creek, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/23/10
A little later in town...
Open for business, Gold Beach sign, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/23/10
I found some interesting files from July 1996. There's a web page that page still exists referencing Ophir and Nesika Beach, and remains as useless and uninformed as it was 14 years ago. It was a different era, before blogging, before everything really. Rob Spooner wrote this about Ophir (go ahead, try to make sense of this):
Located at the crossroads of Curry County, Ophir and its suburb Nesika Beach represent some of the prettiest geography and the most progressive political climate to be found anywhere. The Ophir post office is located in Nesika Beach, which doesn't have a post office, instead getting its mail from Gold Beach, on the other side of Wedderburn, which does have a post office.

I suppose I wanted my favorite place represented more accurately. I wrote a snippy request for him to edit his page, "Ophir is a tiny residential community, as is Nesika Beach. Neither are suburbs in any sense of the word. Nesika Beach and Ophir are best described as "neighboring communities. Also, there aren't really any crossroads near Ophir or Nesika Beach. I am fairly certain that communities don't represent geography. However, it is one of the most beautiful stretches of coastline."

That's what went down when I was 24. I photographed Ophir with a 35mm Canon in July of 1996. Years later, I wrote an accompanying story. That writing is an earliest draft of a few of my stories, existing well before the 'blogosphere' had come into it's own. In some ways, I'm glad the pages still exist, but in most ways, I'd rather they be removed so that I can put it back into my own editing control.

In December 2005, I scoured the internet and assembled a page of Ophir photos that weren't mine. It was then that I discovered this image at Frankport from 1941 by Ben Maxwell:
Frankport, Curry County, OR, Ben Maxwell ©7/4/41
The 4" x 5" negative was scanned 1/17/2003.

I also put together a nice hillshade map. Since that time, digital photography exploded, and to my own surprise, I moved back and shot here for an entire year. But it shouldn't surprise me, since the earliest reference to an extended Ophir stay occurred in August 2007, "I'm feeling like spending a few weeks here and there with myself, my songs and my places." A few days later, "I was thinking of the 'month here and there' idea. And the first place I want to do it is coastal Oregon. I want to spend September there; go back to where I started, if you will."

But as September '07 rolled around, I chose a 'Kentucky mandolin adventure.' I considered 'Ophir Beach Songs' as my publishing company name, but didn't get enough songs to matter much (yet).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive