Sunday, January 30, 2011

Ben Maxwell’s "Frankport"

Humbug from Frankport, Andrew D. Barron ©1/26/11
This type of composition is just what the Instax likes.
Humbug from Frankport, Andrew D. Barron ©1/26/11
Remember this image I posted once before? For my little corner of the world, this should be a famous photograph, but I don't think it is. It will be 60 years old this year.
Frankport, Curry County, OR, Ben Maxwell ©7/4/41Frankport from 1941 by Ben Maxwell

I scouted out and found Mr. Maxwell's location. I lent out my dslr, so I was shooting the 'ol h1, which had very low batteries.
Frankport, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/26/11
It's close to his shot, but without the tilt and swing of the camera back, as on a large format camera, I was unable to get it the same in the vertical relationships. If I understand, on his shot the back is tilted forward to get Devil's Backbone to meet the beach/sea contact in the distance. There are some feature changes, like the building is long gone and amazingly, the little point knoll with trees has been massively dynamited and flattened to build a house. Here's a shot with the Hipstamatic.
Frankport, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/29/11
It was fun trying some new things.
Frankport, East of Eden, Andrew D. Barron ©1/26/11
There's a few reasons I dug this book up this week. Steinbeck is probably my favorite writer. The color and texture of the book reminded me of this building shot from earlier this month.
Coquille, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/04/11
On my 14th day in Kentucky, 2007, at WKU in Bowling Green, I was asked to stop taking pictures and leave. (The blog photos for 9/21/2007) Before my misadventure on campus, I found hardbound edition of John Steinbeck's East Of Eden in a thrift store. This made four original hardbound Steinbeck books in my collection and was glad for the 50¢ find. The edition is an odd printing for the Sears Readers Club, and belonged to Robert G. Anderson, whose nice cursive inscribes both covers.

Parting shot today.
Sisters Rocks, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/29/11
I worked on quite a few thing on this very long day. One project is ridiculous, my old Powerbook has another blog entry. It's time to start thinking of 2011's beehive projects, so I did a little looking back and informational blog about the Warre hive I built.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive