Thursday, January 20, 2011

Sisters Rocks Sunset

When it rains it pours. When it doesn't rain, the photographs pour forth.

It was a busy and lovely sunny day. At 4:45, I thought, "Sisters Rocks. Sunset. Instax 210." I can see as well as you that it's getting ridiculous with these cameras. In the fray of packing up, with what, four cameras and their accessories, batteries, in one minute. . . Racing down 101 the several miles to Sisters Rocks. . . I forgot to load film into the Instax. I still had three great cameras. The first half of the trail to the beach at Sisters Rocks (Frankport) is a steep and muddy. Running was a bad idea, but the sun sets fast!

“and the earth turns it's back on the sun and planets come out and start to run around. They call that day is done, but really it's just getting started. Some folks take comfort in that.”
Guy Clark's The Dark


I fell down. Practically bounced to my feet. Wait. I'm really okay? Okay, moments fading.

As I turned the corner, this was not the shot I was running for. I took the time to set up for it, catching my breath and wondering how on earth to expose this scene. Over half way down now, I looked to the beaches north and south and could see by the shadows I could not make it all the way.
Sisters Rocks sunset, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/20/11
(Crap, looks like I'll have to reprocess this one again later since I the horizon is crooked. Maybe I'll just leave it to symbolize my silly tumble.)

Still optimistic, I raced down the path. The road is gravel down here, etched out of Gold Beach Terrane; rocks with Franciscan affinity. Yeah, p-mag data suggest ridiculous amounts of northward translation. It's had tens of millions of years to do it though. There was a nice little knoll unnoticed until tonight so I set up for the sunset.
Sisters Rocks sunset, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/20/11
Kaimal Mark II on Pistil
To my surprise in reviewing the shots, the 'good ones' presented here are reflecting themselves. The big shot above shows where this shadow shot was taken and vice versa. The shadow looked cool and I wanted to try a color idea with the Hipstamatic. The Nikkor 35mm prime lens is great, but it doesn't flare the sun like the 18-55 kit lens does. Whenever I shoot into the sun with it, I get interesting lens coating rainbows, but less of the flare I liked. It was freaking windy, so even on tripod, there was little hope of a clear image. A bust for the Nikon.

Wait! There's this little wacky Hipstamatic camera and it was just as fun to shoot with it.
Sisters Rocks sunset, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/20/11
Sisters Rocks sunset, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/20/11
Kaimal Mark II on Claunch 72 Monochrome
Sisters Rocks sunset, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/20/11
Sisters Rocks sunset, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/20/11
I'm stuck with this iPhone 3G and am glad to have it, but I started looking around and the new iPhone 4 makes much much better Hipstamatic images. I thought with as much praise and free advertising for the app, well, don't you think Synthetic Corp would be more than happy to send one to me? I do. Thanks you guys for making my iPhone into a camera that can check email. The Hipstamatic is reason enough to own an iPhone, no question. The Lotus 1-2-3 for MS-DOS. The Photoshop for Mac. The killer app. And c'mon Apple. Why not make an identical touch?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive