Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Hopeless semantic : Trees of Mystery

Trees of Mystery, Klamath, CA, Andrew D. Barron ©1/05/11
Trees of Mystery, Klamath, CA, Andrew D. Barron ©1/05/11
Trees of Mystery, Klamath, CA, Andrew D. Barron ©1/05/11
Trees of Mystery, Klamath, CA, Andrew D. Barron ©1/05/11
H1 on a monopod out the tram window on timer.
Trees of Mystery, Klamath, CA, Andrew D. Barron ©1/05/11
Trees of Mystery, Klamath, CA, Andrew D. Barron ©1/05/11
Trees of Mystery, Klamath, CA, Andrew D. Barron ©1/05/11
Elk south of Klamath, CA, Andrew D. Barron ©1/05/11
Tough.
Lawnmower, Oreck, CA, Andrew D. Barron ©1/05/11
Oreck, CA, Andrew D. Barron ©1/05/11
Chainsaw sculpture in progress.
Oreck, CA, Andrew D. Barron ©1/05/11
Oreck, CA, Andrew D. Barron ©1/05/11
SLAB MYRTLE MAPLE
Oreck, CA, Andrew D. Barron ©1/05/11
Oreck, CA, Andrew D. Barron ©1/05/11
Oreck, CA, Andrew D. Barron ©1/05/11
Nasturtium, Oreck, CA, Andrew D. Barron ©1/05/11
Bell peppers, Brookings, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/05/11
Reviewing the old as a means of realizing the new—such a person can be considered a teacher.
Analects of Confucius, 2.11

I wrote a ton about photography while riding in the back of a van down the Oregon coast to California. It’s my working manual about digital photography as it relates to what I understand about film photography. It’s the kinds of things I wish someone else could have explained to me. Thinking about shooting as if on film has changed everything, even with my H1. Half of today’s shots were with it and they are coming out way better as I’ve been shooting in manual modes with it as well. There’s this mixed feeling of ‘why didn’t I work this stuff out sooner’ and thankful to have worked it out. My oldest complaint was the chromatic aberration of the H1. Shooting on a monopod and adjusting the exposure while monitoring the histogram, well, that 4 year ‘inherent problem of CCD sensors’ seems to have vanished. The light was tough under the tall redwoods for both cameras but I managed to pull many nice shots out of them. Of course for a single blog entry, how many "pretty tall tree" shots are needed? I like this more square image format; it was a simple shift in processing and output, though this images are coming out as larger files. I was trying to make them close in total pixels. 1024x576=0.59mp and 864x683=0.59mp, yet these more square images are larger JPGs. I think it’s because I am getting better exposures. This means I will have to deal with my photobucket limits sooner or increase the output jpg compression.

I’m a photographer. I like to shoot what I like. I like to ask myself questions about technique and seek their answers. This latest push towards understanding photography mechanics began in ernest on Thanksgiving with an openly discussed underexposed wave shot. My friend Jason, a much more experienced photographer, offered some basic suggestions that I didn’t really understand. As a photographer trying to find my way, I spend most of my time making photographs and looking at the results. I spend much less time looking at other people’s work. Working this way means that I may not know something very fundamental. Until I identify this in my own photos, I just don’t know it. It also means that my vision stems from my own experience and hopefully not reduced to mimicry or copycating. I have a bunch of good photos. Some are ‘the shot’ that sums up a place or a feeling, but most are not. Why is that? What has fallen short? Is the language of photography able to capture only some of your own feelings? Is it good to allow room for other's feelings to fall over the image? Like I said, I’m a photographer. I like the making of pictures, and I like sharing the pictures I took. If I had to say though, it’s the process of working it all out that I seem to enjoy the most.

Having studied, to then repeatedly apply what you have learned—is this not a source of pleasure? To have friends come from distant quarters—is this not a source of enjoyment? To go unacknowledged by others without harboring frustration—is this not the mark of an exemplary person (junzi)?
Analects of Confucius, 1.1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive