Sunday, January 2, 2011

January two

Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/02/11
I like the 5:4 aspect ratio found on large format cameras. I'm not shooting with one yet, so I'm unable to stick with it for the 'best' presentation of a shot. I had such a clear vision about 16:9 for so long.
Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/02/11
I was sure that one cool future direction would be 'screen' display of my images on an LCD installation. I had this single vision for many years.
Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/02/11
But I have only displayed images on a computer screen. Perhaps the day will arrive when I do create an HDTV 'installation' of some of my work, but I find myself drifting further away from technological solutions and yearning for 'real', tactile, high quality ideas. This was well established in the recent past as large format film cameras and photographic prints. I've heard of hybrid process, such as negative generation from digital images followed by traditional photographic paper enlargements. Are they called silver gelatin prints? How will they look?
Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/02/11

Port Orford. I really like Port Orford. The support for the arts is clearly important to that community. Back to 5:4.
Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/02/11
I though Garrison Lake would be nice for sunset.
Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/02/11
Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/02/11
Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/02/11
But with moments to spare, I headed up for a Cape Blanco sunset.
Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/02/11
It was very cold.
Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/02/11
There was a fence in the foreground about 100 feet away. Using the manual features on my old megatelephoto H1 (742mm), I've been capturing images like the above two. Combined with a 5:4 shape, I find they have a distant 'postage stamp' feel to a given scene. When cropping to 16:9, that tiny field of view effect seems reduced. It's a classic paradox in that the qualities of telephoto are limited to a small viewing area. Once, I had reasonable success merging four or five tele shots. There were also interesting composites that take advantage of Photosynth. The nonmanual focus of the H1 is great for point and shoot, less so for choosing your focus.

Headlights on Sisters Rocks, Frankport. This image probable won't make it too long on here.
Sisters Rocks after hours, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/02/11
This is one of my first long exposure night shots, and looky, I caught a satellite or shooting star.
Nesika night from Frankport, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/02/11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive