Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Years Day / Four by five

I've been seriously thinking of shooting on film with a 4x5 field camera. So I went out thinking 'how would 4x5 images look'? The sun cooperated. I'm also shooting RAW+jpg in the new year. With the more manual style I'm shooting these days, the RAW version can help produces a better representation of the scene. I shot this wide and cropped narrow.
Ophir: New Year's day, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/01/11
Pines
Pines, Euchre creek, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/01/11
I have shot many many portrait-style images where the subject stands out in focus against a blurred background. The quality of the blur is called bokeh' (I pronounce it 'okay' that starts with a 'b'). It's easy to have that effect with automatic focus cameras. I played a lot with the blurry elements over the last four years. Perhaps that's why I grow weary of it despite how effective and interesting it is.

Fern and blackberry.
Fern and blackberry, Euchre creek, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/01/11

Further review of what I like about others' work is a large depth of field; big dramatic nature scenes with everything in focus. I'm closing the aperture all the way (f/22) and using a tripod and remote release much more often. This shot was rescued from the RAW version. I shot this tree previously.
Up Euchre creek, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/01/11
Barn up Euchre Creek road. Left this one in 3:2 as shot.
Barn, Euchre creek road, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/01/11
Ophir Safety Rest.
Light at Ophir, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/01/11
Good light today and I've found a much more 'fun' style to shooting with each camera I have. These next four are with the aged H1 at it's astounding 742mm-equivalent focal length tele-adapter lens. Prior to today, I was hating telephoto shots. But I got out a monopod and closed the lens aperture as much as I could and adjusted the exposure in the field. This type of care will have to be second nature when shooting with a 4x5 camera on film.
Waves crash, Ophir beach, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/01/11
What I call the Pyramid Tree.
Ophir: New Year's day, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/01/11
And this was called Goat Mountain by Walt Hyde, who lived up on Greggs Creek road.
Ophir: New Year's day, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/01/11
The above two 'green' shots wanted some sharpening as I knocked down the resolution, but the next ones didn't. Each image is 'made', as Ansel once said. But I really feel strongly the image has to 'be there' and not be 'fixed.' I live by that. I wouldn't have time to shoot if I had to fix my images in Photoshop!

Tsunami siren, just in case you forgot to be afraid.
Tsunami siren, Ophir: New Year's day, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/01/11
North of Devils Backbone. The waves were crashing a small sea stack that caught my eye. The surf was big, the tide was out, and the wind was low.
Ophir: New Year's day, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/01/11
Devil's Backbone, looking south towards Ophir.
North of Woodroof Creek, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/01/11
North of Woodroof Creek, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/01/11
The black and white portfolio of my own work I made yesterday seemed to propel me today.

As Darrell Scott wrote in 1997, it was indeed, a "great day to be alive."
North of Woodroof Creek, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/01/11

"Hard times in the neighborhood but why can't every day be just this good?"

Darrell Scott
from Family Tree

I remember how moved I was the first time I listened to Darrell Scott's solo work as I drove from Nashville to Memphis in 2000. Few singers have as much expressive skill to their voice in my 'genre' as Darrell. That trip now had a photoblog. How cool! When did I do that?

The above tele shot was a more successful, accidental repeat of some of my early Curry County shooting north of Humbug from December 8, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive