Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ophir b+w

Ophir, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/12/11
Ophir, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/12/11
I parked in the secret spot. H1 on timer.
Euchre Creek marsh, Ophir, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/12/11
Ophir, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/12/11
Euchre creek meets the sea. Sisters Rocks, stoic in background.
Ophir, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/12/11
December 13, 2009: there was a nice capture and it went out as color and 16:9. With the 150mm lens equivalent, Sisters Rocks are nicely prominent. Here is a 2011 treatment to that 2009 image, framed as shot in 4:3.
Euchre Creek marsh, Ophir, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/13/09
Sisters Rocks from Euchre creek and Humbug behind. Between the Sisters, Port Orford clings to the edge.

Glad to see Examples: The Making of 40 Photographs at the Curry Public Library. There is much to read from Sir Ansel, a rather meticulous fellow. He references his Zone System, and also a myriad of expensive sounding large format cameras and lenses. Mr. Adams' descriptions of the process of printing from the negatives is often as long as capturing the shot. It is impressive to see the wide range of active years; 'Examples' has photos ranging from 1921-1982. Also noteworthy, Mr. Adams describes Ed Weston as working almost exclusively on "assignments from within," and regarded him with highest esteem. Hey, my copy of Singular Images arrived. This book is a collection of Mr. Adam’s take on Polaroid instant film. Somehow I ordered the more rare (and pricier) second printing.

Ah yes, I am in black and white la la land. Which to print at 8x10? How many? A winter image from 2/22/2008 thanks to some recent considerations about winter photography. Taken to 5:4 b+w (though it works better at 3:2 or 16:9):
Ice storm, Zion, Henderson County, KY, Andrew D. Barron ©2/22/08
“Grab your coat, darlin’, it’s gonna be cold along the way. Yeah, it’s a nice place to visit; sure didn’t mean to stay.”
Ice storm, Zion Kentucky.

But wait, POW! I found his image from the other day. The H1’s f/8 look into Euchre Creek tree:
Trees at Euchre Creek, Ophir, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/06/11
Only now am I remotely ready to digest Mr. Adams’ ‘how I made this image’ discourse. One thing that struck me about ‘Examples’ is his consistent use of a yellow-type filter on landscape shots. He writes for Clearing Winter Storm, (that I mentioned recently) “No. 8 to remove the atmospheric haze inevitable with subjects several miles or more distant. I would have used No.6 if it had been in my kit.” Mr. Adams’ cited filters (by no means complete):
Wratten no. 8 (K2) [no filter factor], No.12, No. 15 (orange yellow), No. 15 3x, No. 58, and as he got in Hasselblad’s, Zeiss yellow filter factor 2x, and “Zeiss strong orange”.

Yellow building gray day, Andrew D. Barron ©1/11/11The ‘Photo Filter’ pull down under the Adjustment menu in PS are NOT the same as on-camera, colored pieces of glass. It’s a similar idea. I'll probably order that filter soon. I often say ‘Adjusting the levels’ and just to note, that’s akin to correcting the exposure, but also maximizing dynamic range in the 8-bit color space of the digital realm. Some think of this a 'contrast,' and indeed can be handled somewhat with that slider in 'Camera RAW'. Applying a yellow filter to my color image after these level adjustments made for improved tonal gradations in my black and white, seen in the images above. There’s a few others things I've been trying, like sharpening the Lightness layer only. Understanding things from a light/exposure/film basic helps with these digital black and whites. There’s always more digital crap that I can’s get my head around (like why the link I embedded for b+w processing doesn’t take you to the right place). Here’s a before and after in yesterday’s blog; within Flickr folks have liked that image. The subject (a mossy tree) was that I scouted out with my iphone last month, and that experiment led to the Hipstamatic.

Today I finally mailed the 110 rolls I shot to Blue Moon Camera in Portland, OR. Expectations are low and I ordered processing-only. Prints are 45¢ each and I’m unsure if the 8 year-expired film will even produce an image. There are other new experiments underway. I'm a little giddy while I wait for the box from Uniquephoto.com. Looking into the instant film from digital files, there’s a service for $2.49 per 35mm slide. Add the $1 per picture Fuji FP-100c, the Vivitar Slide printer, and you have a real instant negative from a digital image. Is it worth it? There are five slide printers on ebay right now. I ordered some test prints from the Hipstamart, who assure 'photographic chemistry' on their prints. The cost came out to 47¢ for each 4”x4”, shipped. I’ve also ordered many prints from Costco and Kodak. From past experiences, Kodak’s 4x6 images generally seem of better quality than Costco. Kodak’s prices for larger sizes are too much and I've found Costco to be very reasonable for 5x7, 8x10, and the awesome 8x12 size for only $1.49. The printed image is fun to have around, but I marvel at the ’shumb grabbers' of photos. BONK. Huge thumbprint. Without fail.

For a while now I've been curious about hybrid techniques. There could be a best of both worlds in creating a large inkjet negative and exposing at full size onto photographic paper, using photo chemistry and light. Silver gelatin prints and Van Dyke techniques look promising. There are $3 8x12/8x10 Silver Halide prints here; it would be fun to try a 16x24 to see one big. When I think about an exhibit or gallery show, I cringe. However, it would be great to offer framed pieces to those who are interested. It appears that nonartists have a tough time separating direct economics from the process of creating visual art and music. I don’s take pictures to make money. It would be great to have my photography in places that spreads my vision of beauty to a different audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive