Thursday, February 24, 2011

Digital Infrared

I sent my only dslr (a Nikon D5000) in for infrared conversion. It is only 6 months old. Inspired by my long lost career in remote sensing and the concept of putting this entry-level camera to a completely different and uncommon use, I leaped. The decision was also influenced by my seriousness about shooting on large format film this year. Furthermore, the presence of Alfred Infrared in the Hipstamatic stirred my curiosity.

I am unable to consider the high priced, top-end digital cameras, so I look to innovative directions with my digital side. The film side will take time to develop. The first shots with the infrared camera are interesting. No time to explore much more than 10 minutes on Monday. I converted the original jpgs to black and white using SilverEFEX, (incidently, eagerly await word for version 2.0 from Eric and Digital Silver Imaging). Straight out of the box with the kit 18-55mm lens, the storied cypress tree was the first subject.
Cypress, Andrew D. Barron ©2/22/11
The much discussed ancient H1 started showing serious problems as the crocus began to open last week. Nevertheless, the flawed capture shows the colors of this saffron-bearing flower:
Crocus, Andrew D. Barron ©2/13/11
Naturally I returned with the infrared sensor.
Crocus, Andrew D. Barron ©2/22/11
Here is holly and cypress, both richly green.
Crocus, Andrew D. Barron ©2/22/11
In these few shots, I found that I have much to learn about metering, exposing, composing, and all the joy of doing something so very different. Here’s some holly with the premium 35mm lens on. The very red berries are hard to spot.
Holly, Andrew D. Barron ©2/22/11
The entirely new view of the world will take some time to figure out. The color versions of the images are confusing, further cementing my trajectory towards black and white.
Holly, Andrew D. Barron ©2/22/11
I was also more than a little surprised at my faded familiarity with the dslr. After being away from it for a month, it hit me fresh that it is not easy to use. Then again, I am thinking all the while about the road ahead shooting, processing, and developing my own film images.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive