Saturday, February 5, 2011

Port Orford Cedar

I want to thank Shelly Paige at Paige capo for her kind donation of the nickel plated capo. I like it and the gold one a great deal. Shelly is also a photographer.
Paige capos, Andrew D. Barron ©2/4/11
I've used the nickel capo (#2 left of gold) since I abandoned Shubb and Kaiser capos in 1998. The Paige capo is inexpensive, accurate, and small. They are made in Jonesville, Michigan.

I have much work to do updating the Guy Clark website. Glad to hear from Old Friends, especially when they send bootlegs of awesome concerts I attended!
Slaid Cleaves concert, Andrew D. Barron ©2/4/11
These images on this plank of wood bear some explanation. I got my hands on a nice piece of Port Orford cedar and wanted to make a table. Frank Prince, a master carpenter, ripped and biscuit jointed the lumber for me. I was experimenting with the quality of my miter joints to see if making my own frames was feasible. The table project raised far too much interest in the neighborhood (I don't know why) so I abandoned it. It is a perfect object for staging product shots and the underside works very well for xacto/razor cutting with a ruler. The cedar came from Mark Metcalf.

In other news, I redid the quilt in the Warre hive. The quilt is a bed of wood shavings designed to wick moisture out of the top of the hive. Port Orford Cedar shavings were thankfully picked up by Randy from Mark Metcalf's private sawmill.
Mark Metcalf's Port Orford Cedar mill, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©11/24/09

Mark Metcalf's Port Orford Cedar mill, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©11/24/09
Mark's entrepreneurial outlook and work ethic impressed me when I first visited the mill on November 24, 2009. Earlier in 2009, I saw an episode of Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe. The episode, entitled "Buoy Cleaner 20(74)" from season 3, featured a shake shingle mill, much like Mark's, and first aired on 1/29/08. The things that appear as one 'visits' with gramma, time spent mostly watching TV and moment-to-moment reaction of the stock ticker. Skip Bo tournaments were fun.
Mark Metcalf's Port Orford Cedar mill, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©11/24/09
Mark's Port Orford Cedar mill, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©11/24/09
Tonight is the reopening of the restaurant where I play each week, so I'm off to play music! My Santa Cruz has returned from the grave and I am looking forward to playing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive