Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Tuesday Nice

The weather has been great here, if terrible in many other places. I shot with a different p&s camera today. It's physically the smallest camera I can recall shooting with since the Canon S10 in 2003 (not including phone cameras).
Warre hive base, Andrew D. Barron ©2/1/11
The bees were unperturbed by their move. I put them on the base made from an old piece of redwood. Warre hives are small, frameless bee hives designed by Abbé Warré to let bees live naturally without beekeeper intrusion. Honey harvesting is done reverse from traditional Langstroth hive to allow the queen to spend her time in the upper box. Langstroth supering forces bees in lower boxes so that beekeepers can more easily steal the honey. (That's what Dr. Dewey Carron calls honey harvesting :) It has been suggested the bees drop their comb best if the top bars are oriented magnetic north. I have no intention of harvesting honey from this experimental hive. The girls have of course, already dropped their comb for the season. I just wanted to use my long abandoned geologist's Brunton compass. tangent alert! I had it overnight shipped once when I did a trench review (a fault investigation) near San Luis Obispo in 2000. Had to have it; never use it. Back then, my officemate and structural geologist Charles Brankman was funny and instructed me how to place the Brunton in it's case so it wears into a 'sweet ring'. Charles is back out west doing clean energy stuff with carbon sequestration. It is a sweet ring.
Brunton compass, Andrew D. Barron ©2/2/11
It is nice to have the bees near. They are right outside my studio's window about 2m from my desk. I hope this unusual warm spell doesn't confuse them and they can find something to forage on. Having bees makes me look for food for them around the neighborhood and much more interested in flowers. Anyone with a backyard and a few hundred dollars can experiment with a Warre hive. You just have to do it. April is delivery month for new bees here in Oregon.
Manzanita, Andrew D. Barron ©2/1/11
Warre entrance, Andrew D. Barron ©2/2/11

Blues With A Feeling, by Tony GloverHoney Bee. The unbelievably 'greasy' original track by Muddy Waters features incomparable harp legend Little Walter Marion Jacobs on second guitar. The remastering on the Anthology version is vastly improved; play it LOUD! I don't know who the bass player is (yet), but the track is magical. Little Walter contributes the 'buzzing' bee effect that I utterly failed to approximate below. Read more about Little Walter in the wonderful book by Tony Glover, Blues With A Feeling. Incidentally, a thrift store book cover of Sonny Terry began my interest in blues harp in 1991, although not followed seriously until the summer of 2008 thanks to Adam Gussow. This book (at right) was also written by Tony Glover (1965) and is one of the most fun books about music I've yet read. If I had my copy here, I'd quote the conversational style used within.

Below, a performance that I'm not too proud of. I got better since this upload from 10/20/10; if you can believe it, I worked it up for a segment in a children's show about honey bees. One should be more careful attempting a song this important. Recorded with the MacBook's built in camera and mic.
Blues Harp by Tony Glover



Self, Andrew D. Barron ©2/1/11
I am really liking Silver EFEX. In this image, I burned in the left and bottom edge and put it through a deep red filter. I like using Photoshop plug-ins that emulate real film things; in this case, TMAX Pan100, a professional film with high sharpness due to it's tabular grain structure. That's the T in Tmax. I have learned an incredible amount thanks to Duane Polcou and Michael Raso on the FPP. Thanks guys, and John, too. Today they've gone into a new realm and produced a video segment. Here they are discussing a Diana camera.



Ophir beach, Curry County, Andrew D. Barron ©2/1/11
Ophir, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©2/1/11
This stretch of 101 fell into the sea in 1983. I don't recall seeing the surf lapping up to the rip rap in the year since I've moved back here (I left in 1987). I was talking on the phone moments before with an important photography contact; I'll get to all of that in the coming month. February should be incredibly busy.

Intrigued by Sunday's Instax shot, I returned.
Nesika Beach trees, Andrew D. Barron ©2/1/11
I like this camera's lens flare. A trademark move of mine: get a different camera, shoot the sun. This helps me understand the camera and lens' ability to deal with the photographically 'impossible' shot. Lens flare was famously used in Cool Hand Luke by Conrad Hall. The cinema cameraman isn't supposed to flare, "CUT!"

But as you likely know, I like lens flare. Jerry Spagnoli's Local Stories is a wonderful collection of 'sun centered' images.

I am sure you're all weary of hearing about all these different cameras, so I will hold off and hope you enjoyed the pictures. I have temporarily grown sad about the Hipstamatic. Several very good photographers make it clear that my 3G is lacking in the lens department. It is a brand new (Dec.2010) warranty replacement. If someone buys it for US$200 or so, I will happily make the plunge for the i4.

Nice shot, Charles from AU!


It's the first of the month, and nice solid dose of what I think of American fear mechanisms. One day, I'd like to plan to be on the beach when the tsunami siren sounds and film the waves while centered between the two nearest towers. I suppose being trained in geology and specifically having studied recent earthquakes (paleoseismology/neotectonics) helps me to process the double intent of a tsunami warning system.

The siren doesn't sound long enough to get to the beach with the camera. Since I had ran to the neighbors to get a view of the sea, it was shaky handheld. But as an idea, there it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive