Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Happy Wednesday

There was a break in the weather. I helped the bees warm up and eat. It was the most voracious consumption I have yet seen. The bees energy is depleted primarily from maintaining the nearly constant, very warm hive temperature. I have an number of additional photographs I will post soon, but I feel it important to check in with my blog readers. Thanks for stopping by. I fail to understand the lack of commenting or direct email to me despite the impressive global readership of this beautiful blog.
Bees, Andrew D. Barron ©3/14/11
Here is a shot from the iphone camera rig with a 52mm close up filter attached.
Sisters Rocks, Andrew D. Barron ©3/14/11

My 17 months of photography by the sea has been exhilirating thus far. This image will likely stand as one of the greatest captures I will ever make.
Ophir beach wave, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron©1/18/10
I can likely improve the black and white conversion. This image, a meager 5mp fully automatic shot, holds up beatifully at 12”x16”.

Out my window, the sea appears to loom more full than usual. There are spots of blue sky after a monsoonal downpour for most of the last 18 hours. Greggs Creek marsh is flooded and the estuary is brimming full. Photos later.


Not long ago, I treated myself to an audio lecture from Joseph Campbell. Mr. Campbell was friends with Zen scholar D.T. Suzuki. It is important to recognize that the human response and need for mythology is a psychological discussion rather than more volatile arenas. In this talk of the cultural significance of mythology, my ears perked as he mentions photography.

Ophir sunset, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/20/11Now I just want to speak about the phases in the development of any mythology; how does it start and what happens to it? I think that one could say this: that all of the high cultures and low cultures and primitive cultures and charming simple cultures and great big enormous ones have grown grown out of myths. They are founded on myths and what these myths have given is inspiration for aspiration.

The economic interpretation of history is for the birds.

Economics is itself is a function of aspiration. It's what people aspire to that creates the field in which economics works, and people who don't have any aspirations, you know the problem of a businessman who can't get people to want anything. It's the want, it's the aspiration, and what is wanted is not simply one two or three meals a day and a bed. That's not enough. It's got to be much more than that to make a life. Now where do these aspirations come from? They come from a very wonderful childlike thing: fascination. Now if you wanted to make money today, I think, I'm no economist, but I'll bet, the thing to do would be to invest your money in something like cameras; things that people play with, things that they're fascinated by.

These fascinations are the creations of new activities.


Joseph Campbell, Myths Give Inspiration for Aspiration.
Recorded March 1, 1967 at the Cooper Union, New York City. Series 1 in the collected lectures

1 comment:

  1. wow. what a shot of the sea...! also impressed by your lack of fear of bees. :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Blog Archive