Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother’s Day at Sisters

Today is Robert Johnson’s 100th birthday! I had some ideas to do something to honor this early guitar master, but alas, things snuck up on me. I was grateful for the email from Adam Gussow for the reminder. Adam’s wonderful youtube tutorials really helped me get going with the blues harp.

I was very excited when I got ahold of the remastered recordings heard on the King of The Delta Blues discs. I wrote about them and Mr. Johnson’s music on March 1, 2007. (see blog). Last year, I found some neat Mr. Johnson-themed things in Port Orford. (see blog).

Well, perhaps another day I’ll come up with something. On with the photos. It has not been very sunny since my last blog. These next two photos are from earlier this week.


Sunday. Sisters from the north.

South.

Here is the scene looking north. Caterpillars and flowers.


I have not been very experimental lately. In this shot, I put the closeup filters over the LX5:

And the +3 close up filters onto the infrared Nikon. Focus and metering is difficult for the Frankencamera, especially with the close up filters on.

More about this type of image later. Here is looking south across Devil’s Backbone.

Hours later. . . remnants of the dock at Frankport.


This infrared was neat looking out of the camera without b+w conversion.

There is an infrared hot spot when using my 35mm prime lens; smaller apertures show it less. These two photos have a rather large aperture at F2.5, giving a ‘paper cutout” feel to the sea stacks at their various distances from the camera. The depth of field is unexpectedly good anyway. The next shot captured a breaking wave, but I liked it less. Finally, after two months with this camera, I read some stuff. Here swapped the R and B channels; this is the normal look of false color infrared I am familiar with. I met with my remote sensing professor not long ago. With satellite images, the bands are of a prescribed wavelength window. My infrared Nikon has a 715nm filter that I believe is supposed to block light below this wavelength. The question is, what are the spectral brackets for each channel in the the CMOS sensor after conversion? The IR camera has more noise that it did before and is less sharp; both are expected consequences. So here is the ‘sky as blue’ alternate shot with wave.

The crapper is that I could have saved $65 on my conversion if I had waited a couple of weeks. I guess I was the sucker born at that minute.



Got a little wet capturing this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive