Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Road to Weiser

I found myself traveling to Weiser Idaho. The whole town is a festival. People are nice, the music covers the range of acoustic music, and there are more fiddles than you can believe. It was quite a drive out of Reno, up to Winnemucca, where nearby I did much of my phd work in the Osgood Mountains. I reminisced about the Rocklin B ash that was in the footwall of my trench, speaking to much longer timescales of landscape evolution in the great basin. Well, anyway. The photos.

Out of the window, the rather slow lens at telephoto focal lengths makes for some rather soft images. Somewhere up 95 looking east; it reminded me of looking towards Mt. Whitney from Lone Pine:
Basin and range, Andrew D. Barron©6/21/11
When in Rome . . .
Rome, OR, Andrew D. Barron©6/21/11
Rome, OR, Andrew D. Barron©6/21/11
This is my first time in Idaho. I had driven much of the way towards the Owyhee river in 1997 for Charlie Narwold’s Friends of the Pleistocene trip in that region.

I had some nice shots out the window. But the lens cover mechanism of the P6000 began to have a strange problem. I put it out the window and shot this the first time it messed up. I don’t know how I could have been so lucky that the subject mirrors the accidental half-open lens cover!
US95, Idaho, Andrew D. Barron©6/21/11
Blind, out of the passenger seat, over the top of the vehicle:
US95, Idaho, Andrew D. Barron©6/21/11
Wilder, Idaho, Andrew D. Barron©6/21/11
Wilder, Idaho, Andrew D. Barron©6/21/11
North of Wilder, ID. They grow hops here!
US95, Idaho, Andrew D. Barron©6/21/11
Weiser Idaho is really amazing.
Weiser, Idaho, Andrew D. Barron©6/21/11


The light was incredible, but I wasn’ sure if I was safe to delete images off the card, and was left to shoot with the Hipstamatic (without the Owle Bubo). These are the things that caught my eye in the outskirts of town where we ended up camping, called Stickerville. It is a group of people bought a parcel, planted some trees, and charge $6 for camping.
Stickerville: Weiser Idaho, Andrew D. Barron©6/21/11
This beautifully restored Flxible bus reminded me of my old friend Mark Hargis in Kentucky.
Flxible bus, Stickerville: Weiser Idaho, Andrew D. Barron©6/21/11

There are a warm, happy vibe all night. Right now I am sitting way back in an auditorium listening to a workshop for playing chord-melody style mandolin. I was simply looking for a power outlet. It sounds neat. There are about 30 mandolinists sitting here in Slocum Hall. I shot a ton of infrared shots, but I didn’t work them up yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive