Sunday, July 31, 2011

County Fair

I don’t recall the last county fair I went to. This weekend was certainly the first since I have been a photographer. It brought back memories.
Fun Slide, Curry County Fair, Andrew D. Barron©7/28/11
The Pirate with Parrots guy had a scaled ship named the Nesika.
Pirate Ship, Curry County Fair, Andrew D. Barron©7/28/11
The Ferris Wheel was located in a different place than normal, but it was not functional.
Broken Ferris Wheel, Curry County Fair, Andrew D. Barron©7/28/11
Those pictures were from Thursday. I was asked to display some photographs in a building where other artists are displaying and selling their work. I didn’t think I could get anything together in time. I managed to get 17 into frames but am pretty sure that none will sell. It was good for me to select some images for 8x10 printing finally. I put them into inexpensive frames from ikea; they look good behind glass. Hanging on the standard fair “standard faire” lattice, the display looks pretty cheesy.

On Saturday I was hopeful for some interesting county fair photography.
Instax shoots parrot pirate, Andrew D. Barron©7/30/11
The P6000 was accidentally set to interval mode so I put it away. Here is the only P6000 shot for the day:
Parrots,, Curry County Fair, Andrew D. Barron©7/30/11
It was the first serious shoot with the H1 in a long time. I shot in the manual modes and tried lots of stuff, with image quality being my only minor complaint. Well, I guess I don’t know why there are not more buttons on the body to deal with stuff. There is only one dial with a push in function to select between aperture and exposure value adjustment. The iso and white balance are buried in menus too. So, as a manual camera it could be frustrating if I wasn’t so used to it.
Vendor, Curry County Fair, Andrew D. Barron©7/30/11
I took a number of shots prior to this one, but the light was harsh. Then as the sun began to set, things got interesting.
Jungle Gym, Curry County Fair, Andrew D. Barron©7/30/11
These are large waterproof bubbles in a pool of water. The attraction is like bumper cars; you get inside the bubbles and flop around.
Jungle Gym, Curry County Fair, Andrew D. Barron©7/30/11
A big attraction was a 4x4 dirt competition. Here is the staging area for the locals and their rigs.
Staging Area, Curry County Fair, Andrew D. Barron©7/30/11
Chair, Curry County Fair, Andrew D. Barron©7/30/11
Pirate ship.
Pirate ship, Curry County Fair, Andrew D. Barron©7/30/11
Walking around in the few moments of very interesting light.
Fair fun, Curry County Fair, Andrew D. Barron©7/30/11
Gold Beach sunset, Curry County Fair, Andrew D. Barron©7/30/11
Then it was off to the rides are for some attempted long exposure stuff. I had the camera on a tripod and most of the time manually pushed the shutter.
Fair rides, Curry County Fair, Andrew D. Barron©7/30/11
Fair rides, Curry County Fair, Andrew D. Barron©7/30/11
So far, so fun. It is a little cliché to shoot such things, but with a cruddy old 5mp camera, and an unhappy infrared dslr, it was a fun challenge. This ride consisted of a one minute lift and a sudden drop from the top. The girl was talking to her friends about how many times she had been on the ride and her all day bracelets from each day.
Fair rides, Curry County Fair, Andrew D. Barron©7/30/11
Then, poof! they were gone.
Fair rides, Curry County Fair, Andrew D. Barron©7/30/11
The ir dslr with a 35mm prime lens was not the tool for this night. I was happy with this parting shot. It seemed to me that attendance was low and a bummer for the carnies.
Fair worker conversation, Curry County Fair, Andrew D. Barron©7/30/11
I put electrical tape over the flash, snapped this and headed out.
Instax shoots Ferris Wheel, Andrew D. Barron©7/30/11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive