Sunday, July 17, 2011

Fun with Instax 210

Momentarily, I am shooting more with the Instax 210. Yesterday as I drove from the mountain, I had this crazy idea that I could shoot with the 210 as my carry around camera. These scans are poor representations of the nice quality of the Fuji instax film. The prints are sharper.
Backyard garden, Andrew D. Barron©7/16/11
There are a lot of things I wanted to try with the Instax. Let me say to all of the people who find this blog because of the instax: I don’t think it is possible to obtain focus with the included close up filter. I have never got a shot to turn out. I played around with some 52mm close up filters today trying for some macro shots. My dotline +3 filters made a very shallow depth of field in front of the 210. Instax users know just how difficult it is to frame shots accurately. Add the third dimension (distance to subject focus), it becomes very unpredictable. Here, the leaves look great, but the blossom is too close.
Flowers: close up filters instax 210, Andrew D. Barron©7/16/11
Trying to hold the filter up, gauge focus, and capture a bee in action was too much to ask.
Flowers: close up filters instax 210, Andrew D. Barron©7/16/11
It was a day of experiments with the 210. I blasted through about two packs of film. I learned a slightly unreliable method for double exposures. With the camera set to ‘darken’ you open the back door. You have to be quick: as soon as close the shutter, tilt the film pack out slightly at the bottom. You can see this little lever come down and try to lift out the print. With the next shot, just leave it alone to spit out the top. I got some light leaks, and this was my first ever double exposure photograph.
Flowers: Instax 210 double exposure, Andrew D. Barron©7/16/11
I would like to thank flickr user Nirazilla for describing this technique on this image.

In reading about ways for creative photography with the Instax 210, I played around with adding color gels to the flash. The in-hand solution is color filters. I tried yellow and red over the flash. Here is Vivitar yellow no.x over the flash:
Flowers with Vivitar yellow over the flash, Andrew D. Barron©7/16/11
To set up the next instant film shot, here is a straight digital shot (no flash):
Flowers, Andrew D. Barron©7/16/11
And with a Tiffen #29 red held up over the flash:
Flowers with Tiffen #29 red over the flash, Andrew D. Barron©7/16/11
And now, the Instax 210 takes a shot with the #29 red filter over the flash. The predicted solarization of the sun makes for interesting photography.
Flowers with Tiffen #29 red over the flash, Andrew D. Barron©7/16/11
Perhaps the light flower out front of a dark background is not good for the Instax film. If I could ever figure out how to control focus and get a better feel for framing shots, the Instax 210 would be a lot more predictable.


There were some other things to play with. I finally united a 52-58mm step up ring to the Sony 1.7x tele adapter over my infrared D5000 and it’s 35mm prime lens. It is not a quality tele adapter, but it does make a very interesting vignette. This look will come in handy later, and certainly not well demonstrated here:
Infrared flowers, Andrew D. Barron©7/16/11
I played around with my new Nikon N50 and swapped all of my Nikon lenses around. What I learned is that my d5000 won’t autofocus the 35-80mm lens, nor will the N50 auto focus the digital lenses I have. The cheap, late 1990’s 35-80 lens focused manually on the infrared D5000 and gave me a new, longer reach. It is surprisingly sharp. More options!
Infrared flowers, Andrew D. Barron©7/16/11
Bean and fence:
Bean and fence, Andrew D. Barron©7/17/11
The laptop takes a shot of the Instax.
Bean and fence, Andrew D. Barron©7/17/11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive