Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Upriver Instax

As with my first pack of FP100C, in this second pack I got one photograph I liked out of 10. This image made the reality of the light into something much more pleasing. I am going to wait for more packfilm until I get something like a Land Camera 360, or 400-series. Here goes my near mint, Land Camera 210:
Land Camera 210 and FP100C at Otter Point, Andrew D. Barron©7/23/11
Here is a similar image from my last blog on the same day. It more accurately captures the scene, so I like how the Land Camera made a retro cool image where things were mostly just overexposed.

July 25th was a beautiful morning. This lemon tree caught my eye as I made coffee.
Lemon tree leaf, Andrew D. Barron©7/25/11
We went to Agness and it was a beautiful day. I am unsure why these elements caught my eye. There was fairly harsh lighting in the mid day sun. It is more difficult to shoot nature and vistas in that type of light.
Cougar Lane, Agness, OR, Andrew D. Barron©7/25/11
Cougar Lane, Agness, OR, Andrew D. Barron©7/25/11
Cougar Lane, Agness, OR, Andrew D. Barron©7/25/11
There was a visit this year’s crop of tomatoes.
Cougar Lane, Agness, OR, Andrew D. Barron©7/25/11
I am a film waster and am certain that someday I will get the feel for the clip-on close-up filter for the Instax 210. How confusing: two instant film cameras both with the model number 210! Anyway, I am probably done with the Polaroid Land Camera for a while, so onto Fujifilm Instax 210.

My subject was too close, as always, and the leaves in focus are about twice the distance away.
Garden flowers Agness, OR, Andrew D. Barron©7/25/11
The focus area in the very shallow depth of field leaves little room for error. My guess today is about 30 inches away when using the close-up filter.

Cold, swift water is not that appealing for swimming these days. There was a time that I was king of the swimming hole; crazy high dive guy at the pool, cliff jumper at Bear Hole, bailing off 30 feet of Lovejoy Basalt into 6 feet of Chico Creek; .

I am not as spastic at the water after my sustained shoulder tweak in Kentucky in 2008. I did too many 1 1/2s into a shallow pool. After each dive entering the water, I swam backwards to apply the brakes to my fall. So, I am out of shoulders. But I am not out Fuji Instax Wide film (yet). At the edge of the Rogue River, this tranquil scene was shot in between upstream tourist jet boats that make quite a ruckus.
Instax 210: Rogue river near Agness, OR, Andrew D. Barron©7/25/11
I had an idea for a double exposure. I taped an ND+4 filter to the front, opened the back, but tilted too late and this came out; a dark picture of the water’s surface:
Rogue river near Agness, OR, Andrew D. Barron©7/25/11
Trying again: I see that I always get a big light leaks with this double exposure technique. This image isn’t bad though. It looks a lot like blackberry branches are over the water, but they were on the shore.
Instax double exposure, Rogue river near Agness, OR, Andrew D. Barron©7/25/11
This technique works, but I am not fond of the light leaks at the edges. I am sure this would work better at night with the flash covered with tape, and of people.

At the end of the day, there were some bubbles blown. This stuff is made by Crayola. Orange bubbles. It was a little bigger than a softball as I tried to get the super sluggish P6000 to fire a shot. And it did!
Big orange bubble, Agness, OR, Andrew D. Barron©7/25/11

It is cool to see GIS make the New York times; Historical Lay of the Land: viewshed of Gettysburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive