Thursday, July 21, 2011

Yreka to Oregon

Here are a few more images from the Dunsmuir to Yreka adventure. The small Nikon p6000 continues to be a good performer. The image quality is very good and I like those Nikon colors. I miss the certain aspects of dslr photography, but not enough to switch back. Here, I tried again for the long exposure, but at a minimum ISO of 64, it was still too bright. Soon I will be able to stick on my $1 thrift store +4 neutral density filter and get longer exposures with less blow out.
Castle creek, Castella, CA, Andrew D. Barron©7/18/11
In Weed on Tuesday, I drove close to a mill pond.
Paper mill pond, Weed, CA, Andrew D. Barron©7/19/11
This shot was more interesting as an Instax print, but a little more clear here.
Paper mill through train car, Weed, CA, Andrew D. Barron©7/19/11
So I camped on the northwest side of Shasta near county road A12. In the morning I had some visitors.
Honey bee, northwestern flank of Mount Shasta, CA, Andrew D. Barron©7/20/11
These caught my eye.
Desert flowers, northwestern flank of Mount Shasta, CA, Andrew D. Barron©7/20/11
So I drove to Yreka, photographed some, and posted a blog. These pick up after that post, Tuesday afternoon. I found a shady spot near a place that repaired fork lifts.
Downtown, Yreka, CA, Andrew D. Barron©7/20/11
Downtown, Yreka, CA, Andrew D. Barron©7/20/11
This shot of a forklift is strongly reminiscent of a shot from a lifeguard chair at Lake Tahoe this 4th of July.
Downtown, Yreka, CA, Andrew D. Barron©7/20/11

Then it was I5 north to Ashland. If you take Highway 66 east, you come to Emigrant lake. I didn’t find a campsite, but I did drive by a sign that pointed to Dagoba Organic Chocolate.
Ashland, OR, Andrew D. Barron©7/20/11
I once photographed a very similar sign in eastern Nevada doing field work in the Clover Lake basin.
Ashland, OR, Andrew D. Barron©7/20/11
See? (August 2004, much earlier Nikon point and shoot)
Pack Trail 1841 (PT-8),Clover Valley, Elko County, Nevada
I ended up in the Rogue national forest. Down this road, down that road, turn here, turn there. In the dark. Pretty spartan accommodations and that’s fine. All that time in the Nevada desert during graduate school definitely shifted my notion of what is adequate.
Rogue national forest near Selma, OR, Andrew D. Barron©7/21/11
Rogue national forest near Selma, OR, Andrew D. Barron©7/21/11
Rogue national forest near Selma, OR, Andrew D. Barron©7/21/11
Rogue national forest near Selma, OR, Andrew D. Barron©7/21/11

Madrone in Rogue national forest near Selma, OR, Andrew D. Barron©7/21/11
It is a strange feeling to travel around and perceive the ‘America lost’ thing; towns that are in decay, an economy that is currently in decay. But America seems very much an open land. Following a few general rules I have not really been approached by anyone while following the guidelines for dispersed camping. It helps that there is a lot national forest in northeastern California and southern Oregon. Where to next I wonder?

I went through the three thrift stores in Cave Junction. There was one place that had an old Kodak with a recently expired unused roll of 126 film. 126 film cartridges are like 35mm film, but produce square images from a 26.5x26.5mm negative. That is the second one of those I have seen, the first was in Westwood about 6 weeks ago. About 1/2 hour later I stopped here:
Gasquet market, CA, Andrew D. Barron©7/21/11
I asked for film. “Naw, everyone is digital now. It just expires sitting here.” Then he told me how his daughter had to order 120 film from New Jersey for the 1955 Hasselblad he gave her. Wow. I would love to shoot a roll through a Hasselblad.

It has been interesting for me to develop such a passion and curiosity about film cameras. I miss Duane Polcou on the film photography podcast. The show is still great and I appreciate Mat Marrash and Dan Domme. In fact, the recent FPP blog post features some amazing images captured with his Hasselblad 500C on the new Kodak Porta 160 film. Here is a direct link to the Hasselblad image. Yes, new film emulsions from Kodak. Mat and Dan are pretty new to film photography, but their enthusiasm for it has taken them far, quickly. As an FPP listener, it has been interesting to notice these guys go from regular write-in contributors to on-air personalities.

After fondling my new Polaroid Land Camera 95b, I learned last that it can be modified to take 4x5 film. I don’t know if that is my next step, but I will say that I remain frustrated with my pack film Land Cameras. Yesterday morning I shot four more images, all were too dark, and two were messed up from too much pressure inside the camera. Side by side, I shot the Fuji Instax wide 210 with great results. The appeal for me with pack film is the idea of negative recovery; an option not available on the Instax. I have shot probably close to 200 shots on my Instax without a problem of any kind. The included four AA batteries show no signs of giving up yet either. So for me, the frustration thus far with pack film has me a happy Instax 210 shooter. That blog of Instax images is in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive