Friday, August 5, 2011

Crosseyed And Painless

I like to make black and white pictures using SilverFX Pro for the conversion. Color filters in front of the lens to improve the result was once a standard in film photography. When I started using photoshop to apply these color filters, I was getting further from actual photography. This awareness came with my 2010 b+w retrospective. So now I have a few filters and have tried various times to use them while shooting for later b+w conversion. I wrote two blogs that I didn’t publish about my experiments. The reluctance to share comes from the likely reality that nobody cares enough to try such things with digital cameras. All of that is a long, long way of saying I put a yellow filter over the camera. When I adjusted the levels, the colors appealed to me, so I left it that way. I hope I remember to try this again.
Greggs Creek crater, Andrew D. Barron©8/2/11
The P6000 will be outdated even more when Nikon announces the P7100. I bought this camera to convert to infrared because I heard it was a good candidate for conversion (for a point and shoot). The idea of shooting infrared had enough appeal for me to go quite a bit further and convert a D5000 instead. The P6000 is inexpensive used at less that $300, and those prices will continue to drop. The image quality is good and the little blocky camera is inadvertently my main shooter since about May.

Walking up Ophir beach is always pleasant, here approaching the mouth of Euchre creek. Sisters Rocks and Humbug Mountain steal the background show. (The next day, I went to Sisters Rocks; pics posted yesterday)
Sisters Rocks and Humbug from Ophir beach, Andrew D. Barron©8/2/11
In this shot from Wednesday with the Instax 210, the plant framed by the ridgeline of Devil’s Backbone very closely marks my beach location for the shot above.
Instax 210 shoots towards Devil's Backbone, Andrew D. Barron©8/2/11
Last night I went to another go-to spot for the golden hour. The trail to the cliffs at Otter Point is hacked out of the brush.
Otter Point trail, Andrew D. Barron©8/4/11
I’m always into trying stuff, and tonight I put on the 1.7x tele adapter on the P6000 and tried to shoot with it. To get the vingetting to go away, the partially zoomed camera ends up with ~100mm equivalent focal length. I set the metering to the focus point when using this adapter. My P6000 is set for selectable focus points, which Nikon calls Manual AF area mode. This is definitely a frustration of this camera. It will automatically choose one of nine for you, but if you wish to choose, you get a cursor and 99 possibilities.

I have trouble shooting with such a long lens as my normal, and felt that the only shots that worked this night were when I unscrewed the adapter and shot with my standard approach of setting the camera to a 52mm equivalent focal length.
Bailey Beach from Otter Point, Andrew D. Barron©8/4/11
Except for macro shots, I take what I can get, here set to 34mm equivalent.
Otter Point irises, Andrew D. Barron©8/2/11
The crescent moon was prominent. I taped over the flash on the Instax 210 and held up the 1.7x tele adapter.
Instax 210 shoots the crescent moon, Andrew D. Barron©8/4/11
There is a type of shot that I have yet to successfully realize: as the setting sun streams through branches and illuminates them. There isn’t enough light for hand held exposures and the colors end up bluish and washed out. For the sake of inclusion, here are two where I set the P6000 to Vivid and was forced to use VR.
Otter Point sunlight in trees, Andrew D. Barron©8/2/11
Otter Point sunlight in trees, Andrew D. Barron©8/2/11
Blog title comes from the Talking Heads song. I considered titling this blog Still Waiting, a phrase repeated therin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive