Thursday, August 11, 2011

Marsh Sunset

Pennyroyal.
Sun sets Euchre creek marsh, Andrew D. Barron©8/11/11
Sun sets Euchre creek marsh, Andrew D. Barron©8/11/11

Ophir moon rise (infrared).
Ophir moonrise, Andrew D. Barron©8/11/11
Sun sets Euchre creek marsh, Andrew D. Barron©8/11/11
Two second exposure, vehicle passing, flare off moon.
Sun sets Euchre creek marsh, Andrew D. Barron©8/11/11
Euchre Creek marsh, Andrew D. Barron©8/11/11
I had a very nice time shooting in the marsh tonight. I finally put my last roll of expired 110 film into the Minolta 110 Zoom. It shoots in an aperture priority mode and the metering consists of two small arrows indicating over or underexposure. Two $4 energizer A76 batteries for these marginally useful indicators. I understand this little slr was built for asa100 film. So I set the exposure compensation to -2 to deal with the faster asa400 film. I have been unable to confirm if this is the right thing to do.
Sun sets Euchre creek marsh, Andrew D. Barron©8/11/11
Owle Bubo postscript. A number of people have noted a fish eye quality to the wide angle lens of the Bubo. When using the Hipstamatic, I don’t usually notice the distortion. The photographs seem more sharp and the color balance is better. If I understand correctly, the much larger field of view lets more light into the lens, and the autoexposure of the iphone works better. Here are a couple of examples to show the wide angle distortion from the Owle Bubo.
Andrew D. Barron©8/11/11
Landscape shots (as above) are tough for the the 3g camera. Another distortion example, a repurposed Fingerhut trailer that now delivers beer:
Andrew D. Barron©8/11/11
So, yes, it has a fish eye quality. I don’t see how this can be avoided with the nature of the iphone lens and sensor. I find the camera behaves better and I like the wider field of view. It was bright, mid-day sun, so I threaded on a +4 ND filter which lets in 1/4 of the light (two f-stops). It was wind
Andrew D. Barron©8/11/11
Andrew D. Barron©8/11/11
Andrew D. Barron©8/11/11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive