Monday, September 5, 2011

Life In 110

In this blog I present photographs taken with Minolta 110 cameras. The film was processed and printed at a shop in Porland. My past experience is the Blue Moon prints have better color and are easier to deal with than scanning the negatives, even though the prints are cropped some.
Expired Kodak 400 Gold 110, image featuring 'The Elements of Color' by Johannes Itten ©1970, Andrew D. Barron©1/25/11
Early this year I was very lucky to find a stock of hard expired 110 film: Kodak Gold 400, 09/2002. After two test rolls (blog 1 and blog 2), I sold some and kept just three.

I bought an unusual single lens reflex (slr) 110 camera, the Minolta 110 Zoom SLR from 1976 to ‘go out in style’ one might say. See blog. I was a little intimidated by film shooting with an untested camera and waited until mid August to start using it.
Minolta 110 Zoom, Andrew D. Barron ©2/8/11
In the mean time, I loaded up a nice little Minolta Pocket Pak 440E way back in April. It takes me a long time to get through 24 frames of film. I was working on a little drilling project up the Chetco River back then. This tree was near the work site. Maybe.
Andrew D. Barron©8/28/11
Andrew D. Barron©8/28/11
On the long road from Chico to Redrocks in June, I toured through a place known to me by USGS quadrangle title. Digital version.
Westwood train station, Andrew D. Barron©6/3/11
(Off topic slightly, here’s what I mean about quadrangle name:)
Westwood sheet, Andrew D. Barron©9/5/11

I didn’t shoot much with 440E until later this summer when I wanted to get through all my rolls. This shot accompanies Abandoned Lookout. Nice to see the moon resolved; digital version
Abandoned WWII lookout and moon, Andrew D. Barron©8/28/11
The 440E has a three focus ranges. I tried the close up setting. The strap on the camera is exactly the right length (19”) for correct closeup focusing distance; I just didn’t know that at the time.
Flowers, Andrew D. Barron©8/11/11
And now, onto the Minolta Zoom 110SLR. I thought this camera was going to blow my mind with image quality improvement over the 440E. The shutter seemed clunky and a bit sticky. I tried to get used to the simple metering lights; the camera uses lights to help zero in on an appropriate aperture, but it is rather sloppy, metering adequate on a range of apertures. The lens on the 110SLR is neat and makes for an unusual camera. The uncertainty came with film speed. In went an expired (9/2002) cartridge of asa400 with a long tab. I set it to -2 to deal with faster film.
Minolta 110 Zoom, Andrew D. Barron ©2/8/11
But the pictures came out a lot grainier than the other camera. Any number of variables could explain the difference in the two cameras, but I think it was mainly from being set too dark.

I went down to Euchre Creek marsh with a bunch of cameras on 8/11. These next three shots accompany Marsh Sunset from 8/11/2011. First shot:
Euchre Creek marsh, Andrew D. Barron©8/11/11
For the old driftwood below, here’s a wider angle digital version.
Old driftwood, Euchre creek marsh, Andrew D. Barron©8/11/11
Sisters Rocks above Euchre Creek marsh using max zoom.
Flowers, Andrew D. Barron©8/28/11
A little later I was rewarded with a digital version. Below, this test shot of a familiar subject (1, 2) was to test the close up setting.
Flowers, Andrew D. Barron©8/17/11
A golden light sunset on cypress trees, 8/21/11. Digital version.
Golden sunset on Cypress, Andrew D. Barron©8/21/11
Stay tuned for another set of photographs from these two cameras, where they were shot side by side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive