Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sunsets

Sunsets! I love the light at the end of the day. I shoot nearly every night, but lately have not posted them here. Though beautiful, and symbolically rich, interesting sunset photography is a challenge. Here are the last three, and then I’ll get to other recent photos.

Thursday.
Thursday sunset over Sisters Rocks, Andrew D. Barron©9/15/11
Friday.
Sunset at Gold Beach, Andrew D. Barron©9/16/11
Saturday.
Sunset at Nesika Beach dead end, Andrew D. Barron©9/17/11
Okay, stepping back again to Thursday clouds.
Thursday clouds, Andrew D. Barron©9/15/11
On this night, I turned the camera on me and sang a few songs. It has been some time since my last musical performances. Afterwards, I walked down the former highway alignment, up hill and behind locked gates.
Old highway 101 above Sisters Rocks, Andrew D. Barron©9/15/11
The songs were spontaneous and unrehearsed as usual. Watch me sing Bill Monroe’s Close By and Green Pastures (Going Up Home). Both songs are definitely in the hard-for-me-to-sing category.

While singing, I saw many exhale spouts of whales far out in the Pacific. In the past, I have seen three or four here or there, but on this night I saw about forty.

Onto Friday. I know: I find electricity, transformers, and powerlines very interesting.
Reflective patterns: transformer, Andrew D. Barron©9/16/11
On Friday morning, the power went out twice. Solar activity is also very interesting to me. The ACE satellite is positioned where gravity of Earth and Sun are equal, cited as about 1 million miles out. Here is the 6 hour data I saved to illustrate an observation:
ACE 6 hour data 9/16/11
There is a little bit of math I usually do. First, notice the two peaks of the solar wind speed on the right hand side. They are at 15 and 17, 440 and 460km/s respectively, so I will say 450km/s for this example. Thus, ACE receives these pulses of speedier solar wind at very close to 60 minutes before they hit Earth.[((1.6x10^6km ÷ 450km/s) ÷ 60s/min) = 59.6min] Next, I convert UTC time to PST (-8). The spikes were at about 15 and 17 (7 and 9), and took an hour to reach earth at 8 and 10a.m. This is when the power went off. Whatever the cause of flickering lights, it isn’t too good for sensitive electronics. One would have to likely need to know more about the direction of the solar wind stream. My quick math assumes a direct hit; but I did the exercise because the power went out. During a prolonged outage however, access to ACE data is obviously unavailable. I suspect the bump, or impulsivity is what tripped the power here. Alternately, it could have something to do with the angle, Phi, where it changed abruptly from 360 to 0.
Nature's forms and the forms of man, Andrew D. Barron©9/16/11
Saturday: Went to Port Orford this morning. I had my megazoom Sony for these shots:
Nature's forms and the forms of man, Andrew D. Barron©9/17/11
I wish the image quality was better:
Nature's forms and the forms of man, Andrew D. Barron©9/17/11
After weeks of very few persistent trails, today was different.
Jet, Andrew D. Barron©9/17/11
I picked up some brake pads at the parts store and couldn’t help myself, and picked up the beefy Marshall Gas Control propane hose for my camping set up. The tube is thick, and the copper ring clamps seem very sturdy. Below, the fittings are disassembled to show this makeshift hose for connecting a bulk tank to a camp stove.
Propane hose and fittings, Andrew D. Barron©9/17/11
Even the inner diameter of the hose is bigger; the Century hose on the bottom. This seems good to me.
Propane hose, Andrew D. Barron©9/17/11
With a 12mm and 17mm wrenches, I replaced the pads. It was a pretty quick job. Probably should turn or replace this rotor, too.
New brakes, Andrew D. Barron©9/17/11
It was sunny most of the day, with many whispy clouds. This sun halo caught my eye.
Full circle sun dog, Andrew D. Barron©9/17/11
Big ’ol lens on the H1, Saturday night.
Saturday sunset, Andrew D. Barron©9/17/11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive