Saturday, October 8, 2011

Hard Travelin’

Crowd shot from Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. (Instax 210)
Hardly Strictly Bluegrass crowd, San Francisco, CA, Andrew D. Barron©10/1/11
Sunday watching Buddy Miller (Iphone camera)
Hardly Strictly Bluegrass crowd, San Francisco, CA, Andrew D. Barron©10/1/11
Back to the present, the end of this week, starting here on 10/5.
Matador Motel, Chico, CA, Andrew D. Barron©10/5/11
I sold my baby blue Oregon Schwinn Continental 1 hour after posting the Craiglist ad. I think my price was too low. The random buyer was from Orland and as an afterthought I asked for a photo, holding only my iphone (temporarily without the Hipstamatic [sad face]). Not used to shooting it with the regular camera (sorry Ryan).
Happy new owner, Chico, CA, Andrew D. Barron©10/5/11
Sidewalk, main street Chico, in front of a mural of the Beatles crossing Abbey Road (Peets was once Main Street Music).
Main street sidewalk, Chico, CA, Andrew D. Barron©10/6/11
Peets Coffee bins, Chico. Onward!
Main street sidewalk, Chico, CA, Andrew D. Barron©10/6/11
Early morning Friday, en route to Portland.
I5 North, Andrew D. Barron©10/7/11
Tutalin I205 overpass [Instax 210]
I205 Overpass, Tutalin, OR, Andrew D. Barron©10/6/11
I went through the rigorous ID process for federal background investigation so that I can get to the Cascades Volcano Observatory, Vancouver, WA. I made it to the right place. Within 5 minutes of being in Portland, I clipped rear view side mirrors with a black Mercedes. Trying to make it to a safe place to discuss, I crossed in front of a pedestrian. There were tens of feet between us. But I got shouted at; a lovely strain of Portland “FUCK YOU!” It’s not the kind of thing you can shout “GROW UP!” back to without revealing my own lameness, too. So I met with Sandy an her Mercedes. We had a nice conversation afterwards, since father is moving to Winchester Bay. I told her car was much nicer than mine. Cities. Of course, there was no damage, and she was humbled by her considerable over reaction.

The ID and fingerprinting were serious business. I am now a bar-code. Once out of Portland and across the river to the office, I had a great visit with an old colleague. The fondest professional memories I have are from my brief time as part of the geologic mapping team, USGS, Menlo Park in 1997. How the wheel goes around.

Monitoring stations near Cascades volcanoes use solar panels and deep cycle batteries to telemeter data back to the office. Here is an older SunWize 40W, 2.4a, 18.7v panel.
SunWize solar panel, Andrew D. Barron©10/7/11
Andrew D. Barron©10/7/11
Vancouver sunrise.
Vancouver sunrise, Washington, Andrew D. Barron©10/8/11
Hard travelin’.
Vancouver sunrise, Washington, Andrew D. Barron©10/9/11
It has been an amazing 48 hours! I am loitering in a SuperCuts after a really nice conversation about photography. Too bad I didn’t get a haircut before the ‘Curry County Wildman’ that will be on my ID.

I’ve been havin’ some hard travelin’, I thought you knowed.
I’ve been havin’ some hard travelin’, way down the road.

2 comments:

  1. Why does it seem that Woody Guthrie is everywhere I turn these days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I wonder where else you've been looking? Anything I should check out?

    "California is a garden of Eden, a paradise to live in or see;
    But believe it or not, you won't find it so hot
    If you ain't got the do re mi."

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Blog Archive