Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival, pt. 2

After a fun evening in Redwood City with a nice group of kids, I met up with my nephew and his friends. I walked towards them but stopped for this.
Pacific ocean at Ocean Beach, San Francisco, Andrew D. Barron©10/1/11
We met at a coffee shop and I noticed Max’s younger siblings walking away. A quick call to Jay and, like I said before, I was expecting spooky things. Jay was staying with a friend of mine. My friend John was an early mentor when we met on a geology field trip in 1996 and played music late into the night on the dunes fringing the Carson sink. He and I had the same advisor at UNR. Interestingly, John’s dissertation field area in Dixie Valley had a moderate earthquake last week.

Our group was about 15 people walking to the festival. It was a long way and we broke apart some and I made it to the the Rooster stage to see Guy Clark and Verlon Thompson. I heard that Guy was no longer touring, so I was very happy to catch this rare western U.S. appearance. Somehow, we stumbled into a perfect spot fairly close to stage with a great view tucked under a tree.
Guy Clark and Verlon Thompson perform at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival, Golden Gate park, Andrew D. Barron©10/1/11
“Gettin’ old’s a bitch.” Guy’s set was rough, but he handled it with good humor. Guy was pivotal in my transition to finding music that meant something to me. Finding little internet information about him back in 1998, I set up a website for him.

Up next was Patty Griffin.
Patty Griffin performs at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival, Golden Gate park, Andrew D. Barron©10/1/11
And appearing with her was the great Buddy Miller.
Buddy Miller and Patty Griffin perform at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival, Golden Gate park, Andrew D. Barron©10/1/11
There was a beautiful tree to the right of the stage.
Eucalyptus, Rooster Stage, Golden Gate park, Andrew D. Barron©10/1/11
Patty Griffin performs at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival, Golden Gate park, Andrew D. Barron©10/1/11
Steve Earle’s show was jam packed. Unfortunately, Robert Earl Keen was scheduled at the same time. Do I see Kenny Vaughan? I would have tried to get closer if would have known that!
Kenny Vaughan and Steve Earle perform at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival, Golden Gate park, Andrew D. Barron©10/1/11
So things were getting pretty exciting. Lots of great, favorite bands. I reconnected with a friend I met in Gold Beach last year. It was a very enjoyable day. That evening we walked back to Ocean Beach, and then I met up to play music with John and Jay. After a few hours, I met up with my nephew again and we found a campfire and played some more music with some musicians from Sacramento. Later, some folks from Flagstaff, AZ came along playing reggae songs. It was super fun. I played some slide guitar with a half a bottle of Two Buck Chuck. Everybody loved that.

At some point, we started rough housing on the dunes. That turned into a 20 minute long Battle Royale. Back at the motel, we upset the neighbors. And probably filled the carpet with pounds of beach sand. Ah, there’s that $2 Chuck. . .
After the beach party: 3a.m., Andrew D. Barron©10/2/11
After the beach party: 3a.m., Andrew D. Barron©10/2/11
In the morning, the streets of San Francisco left this bouquet. The reflections are pedestrians.
After the beach party: 3a.m., Andrew D. Barron©10/2/11
My good friend Joseph highly recommended Abigail Washburn, so I was sure to make it.
Bela Fleck and Abigail Washburn, Andrew D. Barron©10/2/11
Though I was tired for the 11a.m. show, it a quiet a beautiful morning, and I really enjoyed the set.
Abigail Washburn, Andrew D. Barron©10/2/11
I saw a little bit of Kevin Welch and Kieran Kane. This was the fiddler with them, playing a wonderful old timey tune about the wolves howling or something.
Instrumentalist with Kevin Welch, Andrew D. Barron©10/2/11
Crowd random (or “rando” I overheard it said) after the awesome Buddy Miller set.
Wings, Andrew D. Barron©10/2/11
Justin Townes Earle with Bryn Davies put together a good set. It was the first time I listened to him. He plays guitar in the Lightnin Hopkins/Mance Lipscomb style. Thumb and fingers.
Justin Townes Earle and Bryn Davies, Andrew D. Barron©10/2/11
Film photographer.
Film photographer, Golden gate park, Andrew D. Barron©10/2/11
About this point in the day, though there was still much great music to come, I was overwhelmed and headed back to my car.
Golden gate park, Andrew D. Barron©10/2/11
Footprints, Ocean Beach, Andrew D. Barron©10/2/11
Cliff House and sea wall, Ocean Beach, San Francisco.
Cliff House and sea wall, Ocean Beach, Andrew D. Barron©10/2/11
Sunset.
San Francisco Sunset, Andrew D. Barron©10/2/11
Then it took me nearly two hours to get on the Bay Bridge, about 9 miles away. Good with the bad.

What a festival!

1 comment:

Search This Blog

Blog Archive