Monday, October 10, 2011

Here Now

It was a beautiful day on this side of the Columbia River, Vancouver, WA.
Vancouver Clouds, Washington, Andrew D. Barron©10/8/11
I drove around getting familiar with the place, here headed towards Camas, Washington. Before there were places like Costco, there were places like this:
Remnant, Andrew D. Barron©10/8/11
And this:
Remnant, Andrew D. Barron©10/8/11
It is an uneven terrain with trees and hills. I tried to find the highest elevation, but there was not much to see. There was a new-ish subdivision down the right hand side of the street. On the left, an abandoned area where a single-wide once stood. I thought the infrared D5000 would do a nice job. Once I stepped onto the property, the dangerous buzz of wasps was nearby. In the electrical service, no less.
Washington wasps, Andrew D. Barron©10/8/11
Washington wasps, Andrew D. Barron©10/8/11
I stopped at an tech-industrial complex. One of the business had the curious name of Reality Engineering.
Remnant, Andrew D. Barron©10/8/11
After a little more exploring, the next day began in quaint Camas, Washington.
Downtown Camas, Washington, Andrew D. Barron©10/9/11
Looks perfect!
Natalia's Cafe, Downtown Camas, Washington, Andrew D. Barron©10/9/11
Natalia's Cafe, Downtown Camas, Washington, Andrew D. Barron©10/9/11
It was very good. It is always a gamble choosing biscuits and gravy, with countless failures of that white crap with black spots made from a powder. Not today! Natalia’s gravy was probably the best restaurant gravy I have ever tasted. I walked around Camas before heading out.
Downtown Camas, Washington, Andrew D. Barron©10/9/11
Liberty theater, Downtown Camas, Washington, Andrew D. Barron©10/9/11
Downtown Camas, Washington, Andrew D. Barron©10/9/11
Look! A lumber mill that is still operating! I have been in Curry County too long, (where industry has long ago given way to . . .no industry) because this sort of made my day. Imagine, there are jobs for people here. This is probably a paper mill of some sort.
Downtown Camas, Washington, Andrew D. Barron©10/9/11
I wandered back to Oregon, through Gresham and Troutdale and ended up what I knew was too good to be true. Oxbow Park, run by Metro. This appealed to the fluvial geomorphologist in me. The many jets flew overhead until about 8pm. The log trucks began engine braking across the Sandy river starting about 4am, and the air traffic ramped up again at 6am. All the while, the rain never stopped. In the morning I took some pictures.
Oxbow Park, east of Gresham, OR, Andrew D. Barron©10/10/11
The rain lightened up for a moment when shot this upstream, three photo mosaic.
Oxbow Park, east of Gresham, OR, Andrew D. Barron©10/10/11
I have seen many trees have this splotchy looking pattern in my travels, from Brookings Oregon, all the way here.
Oxbow Park, east of Gresham, OR, Andrew D. Barron©10/10/11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive