Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Mount St. Helens

I tried to make it to the Johnston Ridge Observatory by sunrise. But I was only moments late. The wind was brutal, cold, and laced with a biting dust anyway. So, after a few hours, I pointed over the edge and shot this and ran back in for cover.
Mount St. Helens, WA, Andrew D. Barron©10/18/11
I watched the movie and behind the screen before the presentation there is a red curtain.
Mount St. Helens, WA, Andrew D. Barron©10/18/11
The curtain lifts after the show. It’s a nice touch. I have mixed feelings about opening the film with David Johnston’s last words. Particularly since there is no context given in the film about the moments-before-death radio call. The renaming of features after the geologist who died in the 1980 explosion is a good tribute. I had just heard the whole story the day before, so it was really fresh on my mind, how a geologist, doing what he does, was wiped off without a trace.
Mount St. Helens, WA, Andrew D. Barron©10/18/11
I left the Observatory to hike the Hummocks trail. It was more pleasant down there.
Mount St. Helens, WA, Andrew D. Barron©10/18/11
Upstream, Toutle River.
Mount St. Helens, WA, Andrew D. Barron©10/18/11
At the Coldwater Lake parking area, this walked right through.
Mount St. Helens, WA, Andrew D. Barron©10/18/11
I will admit to being a light snob. Everything was so overexposed, almost as soon as the sun came up. So I waited and waited. By about 3p.m., things got really nice. Here, my tripod takes a bow.
Mount St. Helens, WA, Andrew D. Barron©10/18/11
Mount St. Helens from Coldwater Lake, WA, Andrew D. Barron©10/18/11
I went back up to Johnston Ridge for sunset. It was pretty chilly, but much less windy. After a whole roll on the Nikomat 35mm, I realized tonight that the metering actually works! So I shot some film up there. But it was kind of hazy. Not having been there before, I missed the good light (again) by a few tens of minutes. The way the mountain is shaped, the western crater edge puts the rest of the mountain in shadow well before sunset. Infrared:
Mount St. Helens, WA, Andrew D. Barron©10/18/11
I snapped a self portrait up there, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive