Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Autoreflex T

Stepping back further to mid-August, this roll of Kodak Gold 200 is pretty beat up. It expired in 2000. These frames seem mostly underexposed with a strong magenta tint. Okay, back to the southern Oregon Coast (Sisters Rocks), August 2011 we go. This night was a magical shoot, and was featured in my 110 film and second half here. Only my third roll in the Konica, I still wasn’t sure I was going to get exposures and I often set up too quickly. Later in the roll, the exposures improved as my comfort shooting blind increased.
Andrew D. Barron©8/15/11
Andrew D. Barron©8/15/11
Andrew D. Barron©8/15/11
Andrew D. Barron©8/15/11
I shot that with my infrared D5000:
Trees at Sisters Rocks, Andrew D. Barron©8/17/11
I was shooting with six cameras that night, so I should expect some redundancy.
Andrew D. Barron©8/15/11
Here is the last light of that day with the Minolta 110 Zoom SLR. It is easy to appreciate the differences between 35mm (above) and 110:
South beach at Sisters Rocks, Andrew D. Barron©8/2011
On 8/26, I found an old Polaroid iZone camera and bought a pair of darkroom enlargers for future use. I set up for this shot and at the perfect moment, the cyclist appeared.
Andrew D. Barron©8/26/11
(For the blog from that time, I used the instant film version from the Instax 210)
Okay, now I am up to September 2. Here is a digital mosaic from looking south towards Sisters Rocks:
South down the southern Oregon Coast, Andrew D. Barron©9/2/11
The film version:
South down the southern Oregon Coast, Andrew D. Barron©9/2/11
These next two shots remind of simulated night scenes in old movies where they covered up the lens with some kind of filter. I didn’t do that here. There is a lot to learn between taking photographs with film and scanning negatives.
North towards Humbug Mountain, Andrew D. Barron©9/2/11
South towards Sisters Rocks, Andrew D. Barron©9/2/11
This image captures the moon above the trees at Milepost 311 on Highway 101. It was pretty dark. Luckily I had one working digital camera that night.
Moon above shore at sunset, Andrew D. Barron©9/2/11
Andrew D. Barron©9/2/11
This is probably my favorite shot on the roll. I remember trying to get somewhere enough light was coming in for the asa200 film.
Andrew D. Barron©8/15/11
It is all very much an exploration. Overall, I am pleased that so many of these frames have suitable exposures. Half of each roll was easy enough to put up here. I have been a hard-wired digital photographer for a long time. It has taken most of this year to learn to shoot film, and with these rolls, I have only just begun. There is a lot of exploration for me with the various qualities and feels for different camera and film types. I certainly wouldn’t know how it works shooting expired 35mm film in a thrashed 1967 slr camera until I did it a bunch. As I go through all of these, there is a value in having direct shot comparisons between cameras, but I find that I like it when the film takes are unique. I wonder if I will be able to let that double-shot habit go? Each image is different, each camera is different. Funny enough, they all look like pictures I took.
Humbug at sunset, Andrew D. Barron©9/2/11
Humbug at sunset, Andrew D. Barron©9/2/11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive