Friday, November 11, 2011

The Winding Stream

It was a very short week. On Monday morning it was announced that Dr. Richard Alley was speaking at the McMenamins Baghad Theater in the Hollywood district of Portland. Though I had a feeling there was little new to hear science-wise, I was looking forward to the adventure.
Bagdad Theater, Hollywood, Portland, Andrew D. Barron©11/7/11
The talk was something of a promotion for the public television special Earth: The Operators Manual. I met a really nice couple and we talked for hours afterwards. My new friends left, the bar was empty, I dined alone and enjoyed McMenamin’s India Pale Ale very much. I am not sure when it happened, but I definitely became an IPA guy. With a twist, perhaps, because one of my favorite seasonal brews is Sierra Nevada’s Celebration Ale. That beer is a fresh hop ale, meaning the hops are just harvested and not dehydrated. I didn’t know that for the first 15 years that I really enjoyed Celebration. Anyway, lost in Portland, as per usual, I found myself headed down Glisan towards Biddy McGraw’s, an Irish pub. Only days ago, the last time I drove by I wondered how I had been there. Approaching from the west, I remembered that Hellbound Glory played there. The details are unclear, but I think it was on a Friday night back in June 2006 that we played a show their after completing the recorded tracks for the first album. They are set to release their fourth album next week.

On Thursday I went to Ridgefield, WA, for a fundraising event at the Old Liberty Theater. One of the seismologists is the fiddle player in Fadin’ By Nine, part of the evening’s entertainment. The event was to raise awareness and funds for a documentary film in progress called the Winding Stream, about the Carter and Cash familie’s contribution to American music. Before the show I had a new experience: seafood chile rellenos. They were good. Now, at the restaurant were a multitude of Polaroid prints. At the El Rancho Viejo, it was a birthday party tradition to photograph the birthday party and pin it on the wall until Polaroid ceased film production two years ago. There are probably over 300 pictures.

The man was clearly a Polaroid enthusiast and whipped out his One Step to show me; it was still in the top drawer by the register. I spread the word about the Fuji Instax 210, and I hope they revive their birthday tradition. For anyone, I always recommend either the $104 (camera + 60 shots) or the $204 (camera + 200 shots) Fuji package from UniquePhoto. If you hold the price of film constant ($15.75/20 shots), you end up with plenty of film to begin, and the camera costing only $57.20 or $46.50, respectively. What are you waiting for?
Polaroid: El Rancho Viejo, Ridgefield, WA, Andrew D. Barron©11/7/11
The cultural hysteresis of a given phenomenological perspective means there is much to laugh about.

The infrared D5000 is increasingly useful as a low light camera. The results are highly unpredictable.
Old Liberty theater, Ridgefield, WA, Andrew D. Barron©11/7/11
Old Liberty theater, Ridgefield, WA, Andrew D. Barron©11/7/11
These chairs are in a front room dining area outside of the main theater room.
Old Liberty theater, Ridgefield, WA, Andrew D. Barron©11/7/11
Old Liberty theater, Ridgefield, WA, Andrew D. Barron©11/7/11

The music was good; the crowd was really enthusiastic, and the turnout was impressive.
Fadin' By Nine, Ridgefield, WA, Andrew D. Barron©11/7/11
My blog’s traffic as I post this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive