Tuesday, December 27, 2011

One Third Trail

I checked out a previously unknown-to-me trail to the beach (overview map). It was a wonderful day. I carried nothing but cameras and lenses down the 1.5mi trail. It is part of the many strands of the Oregon Coast Trail. Heading south from Gold Beach, look for the parking on the right (west) when you see this milepost. There is little named reference on the 1:24,000 topo sheet; the creek is unnamed and you do end up squarely in Section 24 (of range 15W, township 37S).

Wide aperture, wide angle, infrared forest shots were a theme of the day with the beastly and beautiful 17-55mm Nikon lens.
Ivy climbs, Andrew D. Barron©12/26/11
Section 24 beach, Andrew D. Barron©12/26/11
The square format, and typically low point of view of the Hasselblad has influenced how I shoot other cameras too. Today I couldn’t bring myself to crop the infrared shots (as I often do to 5:4). They come out of the camera at 3:2 (4288x2848). Also, since doing all of the 35mm negatives (1, 2,3,4, 5, 6, 7,8) I have a new fondness for that 3:2 rectangle. Oh, and the very wide 17mm focal length available on this lens is delicious.
Section 24 beach, Andrew D. Barron©12/26/11
Section 24 beach, Andrew D. Barron©12/26/11
The beach was completely barren with only the prints of a roaming dog left behind. I was pretty enamored with the 17-55 lens on the infrared d5000. Just to be sure, I put the 35mm/f1.8 lens on for this closeup of the rocks on the beach.
Rocks of the Otter Point formation, Section 24 beach, Andrew D. Barron©12/26/11
It is very sharp. It has an infrared hotspot at smaller apertures beyond about f5.6 (not an issue here). A good example of that hotspot can be seen here.

I tried to get off the beach a different way and ended up on top of these rocks. I’ve scrambled through the woods in Curry County before, and wasn’t feeling up to the challenge today and turned back. I spent some time with this composition with the Hasselblad, some Ektar 100, and the 50mm/f4 lens, but who knows when I will get around to presenting digital versions from the Hasselblad.

So, from the very close with a sharp lens (above), to the far away with my least sharp camera, my aging iphone 3g with the Hipstamatic 190, now probably 10 updates out of date. (below)
Unnamed creek at Section 24 beach, Andrew D. Barron©12/26/11
Cape Sebastian to the south.
South towards Cape Sebastian, OR, Andrew D. Barron©12/26/11
I hiked Cape Sebastian on 12/5/10, and included this photograph that looks north and includes today’s adventure. This was the same camera, my Nikon D5000 prior to infrared conversion using the rather soft and slow kit lens. In reviewing this photograph, I was surprised to see that it is as-shot (no TopazAdjust).
Cape Sebastian, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/5/10
It was only one year ago that I got the super sharp, cruddy bokeh, great value 35mm/f1.8 lens. Shortly before it arrived, I went to a favorite location and posed with my beloved Sony DSC-H1. I think it was supposed to be a goodbye:
Euchre Creek marsh from Ophir detour to nowhere, OR, Andrew D. Barron©12/26/11
Yet I am still shooting color digital with it.
Outcrops, landslides, and spruce, Section 24 beach, Andrew D. Barron©12/26/11
Not long afterwards, spent too much to change the sensor in my D5000 to infrared, imaging in the very near infrared spectrum from 715nm to 1100nm. Black and white photographs are somehow different, perhaps more emotive, asking the viewer to see the world differently.
1/6 second exposure near dark, Andrew D. Barron©12/26/11

Great hike south of Gold Beach, Andrew D. Barron©12/26/11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive