Monday, December 5, 2011

Camas

Proximity to a film processing lab and access to a great scanner makes film photography a wonderful option lately. I have been using expired film (free), a great pair of 35mm cameras (practically free) and getting develop-only, uncut negatives: $3/roll.
Vancouver outskirts, WA, Andrew D. Barron©11/23/11
Between Camas and Washougal, this scene looks south over the Columbia river. On the Hasselblad first prints, the color was really wonderful and the square format is more pleasing. For whatever reason (12 year old film?), golden leaves and light are shifted green here in this 35mm version. I like the surprising little lens flare stars at right.
Columbia riverfront, Washougal, WA, Andrew D. Barron©11/23/11
Making the transition to film cameras means I often guess at an exposure and point it out the window. Here, en route to Portland, looking south over the Columbia. This same photo (as digital) appeared already.
Vancouver outskirts, WA, Andrew D. Barron©11/23/11
I went for a photo walk in Camas (pronounced ‘like camera’) with the Konica. I met a random dude who told me all kinds of stuff about himself. The Rascal. The things that happen when you whip out a light meter.
Camas Hotel, Downtown Camas, WA, Andrew D. Barron©11/27/11
Downtown Camas, WA, Andrew D. Barron©11/27/11
Downtown Camas, WA, Andrew D. Barron©11/27/11

Georgia Pacific paper mill, Camas, WA, Andrew D. Barron©11/27/11
What I love about film is that I shoot more carefully and in their native format, they are ready to be printed. They exist as physically real images natively. I think it is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive