Thursday, December 1, 2011

Catch Up

Where to begin? My photographs have been coming in randomly. I’ve been learning about scanning film negatives and shooting lots of film. I am in a new territory with the Hasselblad as well as really enjoying the results of the 35mm images. It is quite a lot more work to deal with film, but the intangible differences are compelling. To get started, this 35mm image from Benson State Park was made in early October.
Benson State Park, Columbia River gorge, Andrew D. Barron©10/15/11
It has been an adjustment phase having spent over six weeks in an entirely new region.
Vancouver leaves, Andrew D. Barron©11/15/11
A nearby office building had a whole lot of people one week, and then one day looked like this:
Vancouver office, Andrew D. Barron©11/15/11
The photogrammetric stereoplotter got some action.
Dr. Sherrod and the PG2 stereo plotter, Andrew D. Barron©11/15/11
Dr. Sherrod said if I was going to take a picture, it had to be on film. He was joking, but I did whip out a few film cameras while he did his mapping (those rolls aren’t back from the lab yet).

Here is a 35mm shot from last month at Mount St. Helens with the Nikomat and 400 speed film. The trees were blasted down in the 1980 eruption, not so long ago:
Mount St. Helens, Andrew D. Barron©10/15/11
The bokeh on the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 is nice. It was on this very cold night up above the David Johnston Observatory I learned the metering was functional on the camera. The colors on the poorly stored 400 speed film came through blue and magenta shifted. Here, I attempted to adjust.
Mount St. Helens, Andrew D. Barron©10/15/11
The bokeh on my Konica Hexanon 57mm f/1.4 lens is more unpleasant, here from Horsetail Falls in the Columbia River gorge. The few photos with the Autoreflex T that have a shallow depth of field demonstrate a jarring harshness to the out of focus elements. I had higher hopes for this particular lens. Nevertheless, I like it’s unique character.
Horsetail falls, Columbia River gorge, Andrew D. Barron©10/15/11
The unpredictable color shifts are part of using film this far out of expiry. Let’s step back into some digital images.
Fire escape, Andrew D. Barron©11/20/11
There was a gorgeous day last week. I explored north and east of Vancouver, highway 500.
Old apples, Vancouver, WA, Andrew D. Barron©11/23/11
Garage, Vancouver outskirts, WA, Andrew D. Barron©11/23/11
Vancouver cloud, WA, Andrew D. Barron©11/23/11
Here I am driving west on WA14 on my way to Portland, looking south across the Columbia river near sunset.
Vancouver cloud, WA, Andrew D. Barron©11/27/11
I have two backs for the Hasselblad and have been having a hard time getting through the 800 speed film I put in there. It is nearly done now; here are a couple of digital test shots of St. Johns bridge. I have a lot to learn about low light photography. The first shot has a wide aperture, the second a small aperture.
St. Johns Bridge, Portland, OR, Andrew D. Barron©11/28/11
St. Johns Bridge, Portland, OR, Andrew D. Barron©11/28/11
I have a lot of film to shoot through the Hasselblad, and today I loaded Fuji Velvia 50 into the Konica Autoreflex T. The Nikomat took come 800 speed Fuji, so the low light film photography will continue.
Multnomah Falls, Columbia River gorge, Andrew D. Barron©10/15/11
Here is another tall shot from the falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive