Sunday, December 18, 2011

Downtown

I am seeking high quality printed output from both digital and film sources. The b+w digital prints come out well, but my digital color less so at 8x10.

Here now, to stress at all about the digital representation of these black and white negatives would be misplaced. I would rather concern myself with learning to use my Durst M605 enlarger. I don’t think I announced much about my darkroom pieces I picked up on the cheap in August:
Darkroom!, Andrew D. Barron©8/26/11
A friend in the office was enthused to hear of a film photographer and handed me a tub of expired film. I loaded up my first ever roll of black and white 35mm film. Given that this was the first and I was on an architecture adventure, there is a notable lack of variety in the shots for this entry. Nevertheless, I had a great time shooting it and have much to learn about dealing with black and white film in the computer. I scanned at 4000dpi with a Nikon Coolscan V. After several resampling steps I ran SilverFX to covert to what I’ve heard called a clean RGB file. These Nikon scanners are great and I am really lucky to use this one. The only drawback is that it may be too good and accentuate the grain of this fast, expired film.

Nikomat FT2, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, Kodak TriX 400, expiry unknown, likely pre-2000. Let’s rewind the clock to Thursday, December 8 and shoot some black and white film!
Free film!, Andrew D. Barron©12/7/11
I took my beloved Dobbs hat in for service. In Portland you can say ‘haberdasher’ and get more than a confused look.
John Helmer: haberdasher, Portland, Andrew D. Barron©12/7/11
Egyptian motifs are a characteristic part of what we call art deco nowadays. Here at Portland State; I showed a similar image on Instax Wide film recently. I like this one better.
Blackstone Dorm, Portland State University, Andrew D. Barron©12/8/11
I went downtown looking for a ‘peacock building.’ Seriously, that was my only clue.
Fire escape, downtown Portland, Andrew D. Barron©12/8/11
Downtown Portland, Andrew D. Barron©12/8/11
I found the Charles F. Berg building at 615 SW Broadway. It was built in 1902 and the art deco facade was done in 1930. Here we see peacocks, pyramids and paisleys.
Charles F. Berg building, downtown Portland, Andrew D. Barron©12/8/11
There were some birds flying in circles. It was mesmerizing.
Downtown Portland, Andrew D. Barron©12/8/11
Downtown Portland, Andrew D. Barron©12/8/11
Downtown Portland, Andrew D. Barron©12/8/11
I closed out this photography session with a nice lunch at the Morning Star Cafe.
Downtown Portland cafe, Andrew D. Barron©12/8/11
I love this Nikomat FT2! I put on a 35mm f/2.0 lens on it recently, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive