Sunday, December 25, 2011

Tis the season

For film photography! I have a great time shooting with the Fuji Instax. It is always the hit of the party.

Though this place has it’s major problems, it is still a place that is most like home.
Above Sisters Rocks, Ophir, OR, Andrew D. Barron©12/22/11
I got spoiled using an Epson V700; these Instax Wide prints were scanned with an Epson NX625.

This is the mouth of Greggs Creek. The sea continues to pound away at the bank, and the county piles more rock. In the last year, it has probably cut back four feet. I photographed this spot with a bunch of cameras last year (see entry). This is with the borrowed 17-55mm Nikon lens that does f/2.8 though the whole zoom range; this was at 46mm eq. at f2.8.
Mouth of Greggs Creek at high tide, Ophir, OR, Andrew D. Barron©12/23/11
I got up yesterday morning to be at the beach. It was sunny and nearly sixty degrees with an impressive +2 tide. I went through three rolls in the Hasselblad.
Hasselblad shoot at south bay at Sisters Rocks, Ophir, OR, Andrew D. Barron©12/24/11
I set up at a safe distance and went through the range of lenses on the 500c. Here, the 150mm/f4 Zeiss is mounted; I use the 50mm/f4 and 80/f2.8 more often. I also used my Nikomat FT2 loaded with black and white film (TriX 400) and a red #25 filter. The time was much like a session from January 2010. One of those photographs inspired me to pursue film photography.
Devil's Backbone, Oregon, January 2010.
Devil's Backbone, Curry County, OR, Andrew D. Barron©1/13/10
That day, much like today, was filled with wonder looking down the tube of huge crashing waves.
In the tube, Sisters Rocks, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©1/21/10
Quite a lot has changed from that time in early 2010 when I began to tackle photography in earnest. But the magic and power of the sea remains a primary fascination. After watching many incredibly powerful crashing waves, I followed my instincts with the Instax 210 and got close. A little too close.
North bay at Sisters Rocks, Ophir, OR, Andrew D. Barron©12/24/11
I went around to the a little cover on the western edge.
Western cove at Sisters Rocks, Ophir, OR, Andrew D. Barron©12/24/11
The camera.
Instax 210 shoot at south bay at Sisters Rocks, Ophir, OR, Andrew D. Barron©12/24/11
Later. Puzzle time! These two shots really show off both the infrared camera, the low light ability of infrared, and also the smooth buttery bokeh of the 17-55 lens.
Kid at Christmas, Andrew D. Barron©12/24/11
Dinosaurs and astronauts!
The Confrontation: dinosaurs and astronauts, Andrew D. Barron©12/24/11
If you have the money, this lens is a much improved over the standard short kit lens (18-55). Here it is at Amazon. The focusing is a bit moody in low light, so I typically set the focus then turned it to manual.
Shots from last December, 2010:
Cranberries, Andrew D. Barron©12/24/10
Patterson Bridge, New Years Eve, Andrew D. Barron©12/31/10
Incidentally, I used a small Nikon CoolPix (perhaps an L22). Even though I like Nikon slr/dslrs, there is nothing nice I can say about Nikon’s consumer grade cameras. I would say Sony, Panasonic, or Canon all the way for point and shoot.
Stocking with Vince Gauraldi, Andrew D. Barron©12/21/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive