Tuesday, January 3, 2012

2012 Begins!

Ophir sunset, New Years Eve, Andrew D. Barron©12/31/11
I found some nice things on this to Gold Beach, including a photograph collection up the Columbia River gorge. I look forward to 2012 having lots of piles of film like this!
Shot film, Andrew D. Barron©1/1/12
I am so close to leaping into home developing, I am breaking a sweat. . .

New Years Day
It was a beautiful day in Ophir much like last year. I am still in awe with the cameras that travel with me now. I headed out for a repeat of an old barn using the Fuji Instax. This time I threaded together a 52mm lens hood and UV filter and taped it to the front of the camera. The 210 was set to infinity and darken. I tried this shot last year with my Land Camera 320 and FP100C here.
Barn up Euchre Creek Road, Ophir, Andrew D. Barron©1/1/12
(Still scanning with the NX625; the print is amazingly rich and clear.)

I recently picked up a Petri 7S, a sturdy mid-sixties rangefinder 35mm camera. By all accounts, they are variable focus. The one I have seems very much fixed focus. I took it all the way apart. Here, the Owle Bubo lets the iphone camera take a nice close look under the hood at the frame counter and shutter lever:
Andrew D. Barron©1/1/12
In an ironic twist, I have misplaced the memory cards containing the proper shots of the Petri. So that will wait until I get back this first roll of Fujichrome Astia 100 I threw in it. It is fun to resurrect old cameras. Sadly, I have to report that my Koncia Autoreflex T has met a temporary demise. It isn’t yet worth it to me to send it in for service, so it is out of commission with a stuck shutter and film advance lever.

I spent some time at the Crow’s Nest. It was a nice collection of friends. I tried a new joke to a cool response, ‘woo hoo, here’s to 2012. It better be awesome since we’re all gonna die on December 21.’ I still think it’s funny. How else to combat the nonsense out there but with comedy?

Sooooo, moving on. The weather was too nice to stay inside the whole time. Looking north towards the 1932 Patterson Bridge, I was hopeful the birds would look interesting.
Andrew D. Barron©1/1/12
Turning to the hills on the east side of Gold Beach (channel swap):
The moon above Gold Beach, New Years DayAndrew D. Barron©1/1/12
There is a neat old building that used to be an electrician’s shop. These doors remind me of the hideout in Guy Ritchie’s Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.
Andrew D. Barron©1/1/12
Around the corner is a stand of trees. I photographed them with the D5000 and kit lens about a year ago. “I turned to the right. I switched to aperture priority, held the camera high above my head, trusted the autofocus, and:”
Trees, north end of Gold Beach, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/14/10
I was only beginning to understand manual photography at that time, with the camera set to an unbelievable light sensitivity @ iso2500. These days I try to avoid anything higher than iso400 with my digital cameras because I find the sensor noise unpleasant. It’s worse with the infrared sensor. Right. Trees. This year with the 715nm infrared conversion on the camera. I most often prefer the black and white versions made using Silverefex.
Trees, north end of Gold Beach, OR, Andrew D. Barron©1/1/12
I got darn near the same shot back then. You’ll probably have to take my word for it. One thing I love about this is that the Rogue River and the Port of Gold Beach are directly through the trees but mostly obscured. Here is a black and white treatment of a color photo. As I write this, it occurs to me what a bad job I have done comparing the before/after using the the infrared conversion. So, above: after, below: before.
Trees, north end of Gold Beach, OR, Andrew D. Barron ©12/14/10

I went down to Cape Sebastian for sunset, but didn’t get much; perhaps the film cameras did. I turned the IR camera down to the sea and set the timer. A long exposure was my only choice in the dim light:
Waves crash at Cape Sebastian, Andrew D. Barron©1/1/12
The awesome weather lasted for one day. It was back to storming today, so I went out to catch some shots. I really like the wide angle lens I have on loan!
Pacific ocean meets Ophir, Andrew D. Barron©1/2/12
Fun to compare to another version of this view: Instax 210:
Andrew D. Barron©1/2/12
I again taped the lens hood and UV filter to the lens. This scene was totally overexposed. It turned out better than I expected, even with the funky lens flare. The hood seems to make the flare circle a larger radius. As expected, the sun went black; i.e. a solarization.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive