Thursday, January 12, 2012

Desert Trip : third camera

Sunset south of Stockton, Andrew D. Barron©1/5/12
On a five day traveling photography mission, I generate a lot of photographs. With the film photography, there has been a lot of backstepping to my blog. Even without yet dealing with any of the film, I am stepping through the trip with my small, old digital camera.
2012 I Love You, truck stop @ I5&CA33, Andrew D. Barron©1/5/12
The itinerary was unplanned, but became:
Tuesday: Gold Beach to Sacramento
Thursday: to eastern Anza Borrego at Ocotillo Wells
Friday and Saturday nights at Fish Creek camp then up into Split Mountain canyon.
Saturday: Off to El Centro for supplies; camping near Canyon Sin Nombre at the southwestern edge of the Coyote Mountains.
Sunday: Ocotillo to San Diego, then to Long Beach.
Monday: Long beach to Freestyle Photography Supply to Success Lake outside of Porterville.
Tuesday: off to Madera for an extended photoshoot and some interesting things along the 99N.

I shot the photograph below en route to Nashville in March of 2008. It covers most of the region explored in this trip. The upper left is Split Mountain/Fish Creek Camp, and the lower section are the Coyote mountains.
Over the Coyote Mountains, Andrew D. Barron©3/25/08
Here in 2012 again, it was a wonderful trip. The motivations were many;
• visit with family.
• go to 85 degree sunny weather
• shoot the Hasselblad 500c and other borrowed lenses while I could.
• stare at the stars after shooting photographs all day.
• see a lot of California that I love so much.
• get some photographic chemicals for home processing.
Shoot the moon, Ian Naderi©1/7/12
Shoot the moon, Andrew D. Barron©1/7/12

Split Mountain Road, Andrew D. Barron©1/7/12
Wash up Canyon Sin Nombre, Andrew D. Barron©1/8/12
Wash up Canyon Sin Nombre, Andrew D. Barron©1/8/12
The feeling of running out of Instax Wide film.
West Dolomite Mine, Ian Naderi©1/9/12
On Sunday, we headed out to San Diego, and eventually made it to Long Beach .
Sunset at Long Beach, Andrew D. Barron©1/9/12
Sunset at Long Beach, Andrew D. Barron©1/9/12
The Queen Mary, Andrew D. Barron©1/9/12
Port at Long Beach, Andrew D. Barron©1/9/12
Long Beach harbor, Andrew D. Barron©1/9/12
On Monday we stopped at Sante Fe Springs to pick up a few things at Freestyle Photographic Supplies. It was intimidating knowing that everything I could imagine wanting was behind a wall there. I decided to get chemicals for black and white and a kit for C-41 color processing. I will see how that shapes up in the weeks and months to come, and that will give me some time to learn about making prints. There is so much to learn in the world of photography and I am trying to tackle it sensibly, but seriously.

I picked up some film and a few other supplies. I wonder if I will be able to make use of my enlarger as this year rolls along.
Freestyle @ Sante Fe Springs, Andrew D. Barron©1/10/12

Freestyle @ Sante Fe Springs, Andrew D. Barron©1/10/12
Photography supplies, Andrew D. Barron©1/10/12

At the end of December I picked up a Petri 7S, a Japanese 35mm rangefinder. It is apparently a fixed focus lens. Out in the desert, I shot a 36 frame roll of Fuji Astia in it. One day the selenium cell metering seemed to be working, but for the most part I used to Gosen Luna ProF to get the correct exposure. I found my memory card and the shots of the Petri:
Petri 7S fixed focus, Andrew D. Barron©12/30/11
Petri 7S fixed focus, Andrew D. Barron©12/30/11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive