Monday, January 23, 2012

Instax Road Trip

This blog presents photographs taken with an integral instant film camera, the Fuji Instax 210 during my long California road trip in early January. I also throw in a few from my 715nm infrared dslr.

It was quite a mission to make it to Fish Creek Camp. I had become disoriented on S22, mistaking it for S2, and searching for a road south of the airport. Turns out there is a bizarre parallelism to the regions surround both Borrego Spings and Ocotillo Wells, both having airports north of the main road. Only one has a turn off to Split Mountain road.It was well after midnight following a six hundred mile drive. It had been three years since the other time I camped at Fish Creek.

I took my car way up a dirt road. Those pictures have been posted already. But here’s this little guy.
Split Mountain Road, Andrew D. Barron©1/7/12
I found a place to camp in 2009, where I took this 3 frame mosaic looking south. In 2012, I hoped that since it was close to the Canyon Sin Nombre overlook (discussed below) that I would make for the the good light at dawn. Here is the view below camp. (This will become more important when I get all of my film from the trip processed).
South from the top of West Dolomite Mine road, Andrew D. Barron©1/12/09
At the far right above (but not visible), is about where the spectacular overlook above Canyon Sin Nombre is located. These two mosaics are separated by two eventful years, but only a few crow-flying miles. A four frame mosaic from 2007:
Canyon Sin Nombre overlook from S2, Andrew D. Barron©1/7/07
This is a two shot cropped 35mm panoramic negative, January 1995:
Canyon Sin Nombre overlook from S2, Andrew D. Barron©1/7/95
Here is a four shot from the infrared D5000 using the 50mm equivalent focal length prime lens, January 2012 (including a photomerge artifact in the background hills):
Andrew D. Barron©1/10/12
And the Instax Wide. It was completely overexposed by the time we got there out of our makeshift camp. I held up a polarizing filter in front of the Fuji. I couldn’t believe Walmart stocked circular polarizer, though I accidentally bought the 58mm version. Some time with Photoshop could improve this scan, but that is not tonight.
Canyon Sin Nombre overlook from S2, Andrew D. Barron©1/8/12
In a normal car, you don’t get too far. This is the turn around point in the wash, less than a mile into the drive. These Paleozoic basement rocks have always caught my eye: the exposed root of the western Coyote Mountains.
Wash up Canyon Sin Nombre, Andrew D. Barron©1/8/12
Sunrise west of Porterville headed towards 99 North.
Old tree sunrise, Andrew D. Barron©1/10/12
As we were drifting up the highway before coffee, I pulled over for this shot. I may never forget the sensation of laying my face on the frozen railroad to brace the camera for this sunrise though silos.
Cold face silo shot, Andrew D. Barron©1/10/12
We lingered in Madera for a long time.
Old home, Madera, CA, Andrew D. Barron©1/10/12
There were five or so instant film shots, though only this one had the right stuff:
Old building, Madera, CA, Andrew D. Barron©1/10/12
A few days later, I was in Chico. Sycamore tree:
Esplanade sycamore, Chico, CA, Andrew D. Barron©1/12/12
I stepped out after a nice Sunday breakfast at Nash’s. Jet trails, lens flare and the Fuji Instax Wide solarization, which occurs far more than any other modern film (as if I know that).
Esplanade sycamore, Chico, CA, Andrew D. Barron©1/12/12
Skies above Chico, Andrew D. Barron©1/13/12
Onward, up interstate 5, then to US97.
Old garage en route to Klamath Falls, Andrew D. Barron©1/15/12
If I could make a post-apocalypse movie, it would be neat to use infrared, channel swapped cinematography. Speaking of which, it might be fun to experiment with the D5000’s movie mode in the coming year. After all, that was one of the main, but totally unused motives for that particular camera.
Gas station south of Klamath Falls, Andrew D. Barron©1/15/12
I made it up to Bend, OR. It was very cold. I was out of it.
Esplanade sycamore, Chico, CA, Andrew D. Barron©1/14/12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive