Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Blacklock Point

There were some very nice days recently. Monday was so warm, edging into the 70’s. Seriously? February?
Above Sisters Rocks, Ophir, OR, Andrew D. Barron©2/6/12
So, while I had the chance, I raced up to Airport Road north of Port Orford. The first time I headed down Blacklock Point trail (12/10/10), I didn’t know what was at the end because I turned around about halfway. Last Friday (2/3/12), I made it to the sandstone cliffs north of the Point. On Monday with just enough time at the end of the day, I hoofed the 2 miles out to this extraordinary place: Blacklock Point.

With all that I have been through camera-wise, it pains me a little bit to be sharing color photographs from a 2005, 5mp camera. Only a little though. I know that the photographs could be better, but I also know much more about the costs of better dslrs, or the hassle of superior film photographs. For now, I am okay with these immediate digital versions to serve as a placeholder for the hike and the eventual film photographs.
Trail to Blacklock point, Port Orford, Andrew D. Barron©2/6/12
Trail to Blacklock point, Port Orford, Andrew D. Barron©2/6/12
Trail to Blacklock point, Port Orford, Andrew D. Barron©2/6/12
The light sand formed a tiny delta into this vernal pool.
Trail to Blacklock point, Port Orford, Andrew D. Barron©2/6/12
I really had to hustle to make it out to the point before sunset. I mellowed out and captured a number of photographs with the Hasselblad 500C, most with a wide 50mm f/4 lens. After a while, I put on the 80mm f/2.8 lens, pictured here.
Blacklock point, Port Orford, Andrew D. Barron©2/6/12
This place is impressive. I am glad there are still places I haven’t seen. Looking west.
Blacklock point, Port Orford, Andrew D. Barron©2/6/12
The rising moon was one day from full. Looking northwards; my last blog featured photographs from the beach at the far left.
Blacklock point, Port Orford, Andrew D. Barron©2/6/12
Moonrise north of Blacklock point, Port Orford, Andrew D. Barron©2/6/12

I stumbled onto this amazing video taken last fall from an ultralight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive