Monday, February 6, 2012

Blacklock beach

I once almost made it to Blacklock Point (12/10/10). Returning to Curry Country for only a short while now, I wanted to explore places that I had not been to, and the Blacklock Beach came up as Oregon’s #2 Landscape. I checked out the locale on Google, where the cliffs looked to be interesting. So at Denmark, I went west to Floras Lake.
Floras lake, Andrew D. Barron©2/3/12
From the parking lot, it is about 2 miles to the cliffs, mostly walking down the beach. I saw a burned tree and set up for a photograph. I even made a couple of impromptu videos. I really ought to figure out what to say before I begin recording.

Here with infrared dslr:
Burned pine at Floras lake, Andrew D. Barron©2/3/12
Once on the beach, it about another mile to where the cliff-forming sandstone outcrops start. Below, you can see this zone in a composite view, where I combined a LIDAR hillside with aerial photography. (Curry County has an impressive online GIS)
Blacklock Beach aerial view, Andrew D. Barron©2/3/12
After a mile or so around the northern end of Floras Lake, I hit the beach and headed south.
Sandstone cliffs of Blacklock beach, Port Orford, Andrew D. Barron©2/3/12
Sandstone cliffs of Blacklock beach, Port Orford, Andrew D. Barron©2/3/12

Sandstone cliffs of Blacklock beach, Port Orford, Andrew D. Barron©2/3/12
Sandstone cliffs of Blacklock beach, Port Orford, Andrew D. Barron©2/3/12
Sandstone cliffs of Blacklock beach, Port Orford, Andrew D. Barron©2/3/12
Sandstone cliffs of Blacklock beach, Port Orford, Andrew D. Barron©2/3/12
Sunset at Blacklock beach, Port Orford, Andrew D. Barron©2/3/12
Sunset at Blacklock beach, Port Orford, Andrew D. Barron©2/3/12
Sandstone cliffs of Blacklock beach, Port Orford, Andrew D. Barron©2/3/12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive