Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Instant and Infrared

I have imagined way to attach filters to my go-to instant film camera (Instax 210) involving tubing, but I haven’t tried yet. I was thinking finding a PVC pipe that goes snugly around the retractable lens, then figuring out what diameter that would be and permanently attaching a step up or step down ring to the PVC tube. For now, I sometimes tape them, but usually I just hold them up in front of the lens of. Close up filters thread together:
Close up filters, Andrew D. Barron ©1/31/11
The trick with a close up filter seems to be to hold the filter so that your subject is in focus. You could measure this distance, but here, I just stayed put and added the camera to the back of the filter. I find the images produced with a glass filter are better than the tiny plastic clip on close up filter that comes with the 210.
Yard flower with Fuji Instax 210, Andrew D. Barron©2/9/12
Here I held up a circular polarizer and a UV haze filter. I think I should try setting the camera to ‘lighten’ for this combo.
Rogue River, north bank, with the Patterson Bridge, with Fuji Instax 210, Andrew D. Barron©2/11/12
Yesterday a brilliant rainbow blazed across the sky. It was a little cold, and I think I got rain on the lens. The print was developing slowly, and looked a little bit desaturated. So I held it over the heat of the woodstove. This was not a good idea, for the print got very hot, and very purple. I was able to recover the image somewhat, but I think it would be best to leave Instax prints to develop in normal temperatures. I wondered about how to change the exposure while it develops though. Would throwing the print in the freezer stop the development?
Rainbow with overheated developing print, instax 210, Andrew D. Barron©2/13/12
There was a break in the rain. I do love this little hill as well as the way clouds are rendered in infrared.
Clouds above Ophir, Andrew D. Barron©2/14/12
I love Kodak TriX. I received many rolls of film back from the lab though it will be some time before I get them scanned. For this infrared shot, I converted to black and white with SilverEFEX and used the built in preset for TriX. It is a good simulation of real TriX. Refer to my Downtown blog (12/18/11) for a big dose of real Kodak TriX. I am unsure, It would be fun to roll some 35mm onto a 120 spool for some sprocket hole photography in the Hasselblad.
The sea at Ophir, Andrew D. Barron©2/14/12
Greggs Creek meets the sea, instax 210, Andrew D. Barron©2/134/12
Looking west at Sisters Rocks, Andrew D. Barron©2/14/12
The channel swap on the infrared seem to have a characteristic two color vibe. It’s the first time I’ve seen trees come out kind of green.
Looking south from Sisters Rocks towards Ophir, Andrew D. Barron©2/14/12
This is a three shot mosaic. I was hoping for better, but it is okay. I panned up, but what I really wanted was the the beautiful fringe on the clouds at the top.
Looking west from Sisters Rocks, Andrew D. Barron©2/14/12
I could really use another neutral density filter. I could only get down to 1/2s exposure.
Looking south from Sisters Rocks towards Ophir, Andrew D. Barron©2/14/12
It began to rain but before I left, I got down with the instant camera for this parting shot.
Parting shot from Sisters Rocks, instax 210, Andrew D. Barron©2/14/12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive