Thursday, March 29, 2012

Earl

Spring 1998. Early in my time in the Silicon Valley, I was invited to see a show. I had a connection to folks at the AMES research center. It was a bluegrass band that was playing at barbecue joint in San Jose. Sam’s BBQ. My friend’s dad was the bass player in the band, and was indeed, a rocket scientist.

After their set, my first exposure to an actual bluegrass ensemble, I approached the banjo player. He knew the look I must’ve had. He said, “you want to play the banjo! Get yourself a copy of Flatt and Scruggs Foggy Mountain Banjo.” I ordered it right away.

It was a great start in my bluegrass education. Rest well Mr. Scruggs, and thank you.


Due to the rarity and price of that particular CD, I would instead recommend picking up one of the comprehensive chronological collections produced by Bear Family Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive